What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Francis replied on 11/05/2024 22:12

Posted on 11/05/2024 22:12

OP -  Hope the move for your brother goes well . Glad to read everyone else is our and about enjoying this weather 

Been 24 degrees here today so we didn’t do much just sat outside the van all day think most people on site had the same idea as site was very busy with lots of people out and the smell of BBQ smoke wafting round the site a glorious sunny day. SWMBO decided to watch Eurovision so I took a walk to the pub just outside the site gate and had a couple of beers now back at the van having another drink Eurovision still on but I can’t complain as it’s SWMBO birthday tomorrow

Hope everyone  else has had a nice weekend 

mickysf replied on 11/05/2024 23:12

Posted on 11/05/2024 21:16 by Wherenext

It's quite common for Holyhead to be pronounced as if it has 2 "lls" ie phonetically holly-head" Micky.

You picked a fine day for your visit. I'll look in on the What Have you Seen thread but hope you saw some Choughs.

We were in town at the big Saturday outdoor market by just gone 9 this morning as OH wanted to get all of the bedding in the wash early on. Great drying day. Back home so a coffee, then MiL had a visit from her very young admirer (the daughter of a neighbour) who seems to have adopted her, bringing her some sweets and little stickers for her walking trolley.smile  So sweet.

Gardening duties this afternoon whilst the ladies went for a stroll and/or a gossip.wink

Posted on 11/05/2024 23:12

Thanks WN, I wasn’t sure which pronunciation was right though. Is it Holy Island or Holly Island, Holyhead or Hollyhead. I guess the locals know best like with Keswick  with that silent s. I know the locals up near Whitby call Runswick Bay Runick Bay. I don’t stand a chance with pronouncing the Welsh names but I’d like to get it right if possible.

Yes,and did see choughs and several lizards on the headland. 👍

DEBSC replied on 12/05/2024 09:48

Posted on 12/05/2024 09:48

Thank you all for your good wishes, including Nellie 😂 I knew what you meant. OH still has his chest infection so difficult to know which is which in his case but he is still on the antibiotics. I don’t seem to have it as bad as last time but it is lingering with feeling a bit better then going back to struggling to breathe. I’m not happy that I’ve missed all this lovely weather with early to bed nights, late mornings and stuck in the house.

KjellNN replied on 12/05/2024 11:25

Posted on 12/05/2024 11:25

We went to the beach yesterday as it was so sunny and warm, though that was not the main purpose of our trip to Ayr.

Having started looking at new cars, and having had a few test drives last weekend, DD is now keen to finally make a decision.     The front runner is a Skoda Kodiaq with 7 seats.   Not that she needs 7 seats, but the  bulky child seats make it difficult to fit in more than the driver and 1 passenger when they are in place, so 2 extra seats in the rear will be useful. 

Having done her research, and found the dealership in Ayr was offering the best prices, she needed to clarify a few details to decide which model she should order, so we were there for about 1 1/2 hours going through all the options.  There was also the problem of the VED surcharge on cars costing over £40k (OTR list price) so, to avoid that, sacrifices on choices needed to be made.

She has had to forego the lovely metallic red  colour she wanted and instead will have metallic blue.  Luckily a different blue from that on our VWs.  She has not yet placed the order, but will soon, delivery will be at least 3 months, and could be up to 6 months.

There was one Kodiaq in the showroom, a black one in a different trim……..it looked huge!   I think being black made it look bigger than it really is as it is a little smaller than our Touareg.

We took a picnic lunch with us, which we ate in our son’s garden.  It is his birthday today so we had cards and presents to drop off as he stays  close to the route from Glasgow to Ayr.  However  a Saturday is a bad day to visit if you want lunch as their Tesco food delivery is on Sundays, so we said we would bring our own sandwiches if they  provided coffee.

After visiting the Skoda place we went to the beach, it was packed, but we were lucky and found a parking place.  The children enjoyed the beach, and throwing themselves into the water!  Just as well Mummy had packed a towel and some dry clothes.  We also had ice cream, which was melting fast in the heat.

It was after 6pm before we were back at their house, Daddy had made too much dinner, so we were invited to stay to help eat it all, and we were eventually back home around 8pm.

RedKite replied on 12/05/2024 11:46

Posted on 12/05/2024 11:46

Well back in France and staying at Obterre in one of the studios, weather very warm yesterday on our travels from Ouistreham Ferry Port, did go and see the new British Normandy Memorial and the 1475 metal soldiers all around the front of the memorial overlooking the beach very moving and quiet as we were there before 8am and weather was perfect and can recommend a visit if anybody is in that area and the metal soldiers will be there until end of August.

Will be home on Wednesday and looks like the weather is changing again not normally so unstable at this time of year and quite a few folks coming on Tuesday to stay on the site and heavy rain forecast.

Debsc hope you and your OH soon recover.

Glad folks are enjoying their breaks away.

richardandros replied on 12/05/2024 13:29

Posted on 12/05/2024 13:29

Hope you and OH are soon better DEBSC. Ros and I have been very lucky and have managed to avoid it - so far. 

Can't believe the weather we have had - constant hot sunshine, every day since we arrived and it looks as if it won't break until we leave on Tuesday. I've come inside to escape the heat at the moment - don't seem to be able to cope with it anymore!

Been playing around with the new portable solar panel and - with the use of Safefill gas for most things - have got our leccy costs down to just over £1 per day. I only need to stay here for another 83 days and I'll have recovered the cost of the panelsmile (But that's not taking into account the cost of the extra gas - so perhaps I'd better double that figureundecided

HelenandTrevor replied on 12/05/2024 15:22

Posted on 12/05/2024 15:22

We have just had to retreat inside, due to a thunderstorm, first rain we've had for over a week. 

I managed to lose 3 posts yesterday evening,  2 as the WiFi dropped out and the third time I got a server error, so hope this one works.🤔Your day out sounded lovely Millie and pleased your check up went well Wherenext.

Wishing DEBSC and OH a speedy recovery. 

We have had a wonderful week, plenty of walking and visits to various castles. Will post a few photos when we get home tomorrow. 

Takethedogalong replied on 12/05/2024 15:54

Posted on 12/05/2024 15:54

We are just re joining the “connected” world, after four nights at Clumber Park, so catching up with folks’ news, visits, illness, etc…. Site was lovely Weds and Thurs, lots of empty pitches, of all kinds. Gosh it was busy from Friday teatime onwards though, but it’s a very popular place is Clumber. We enjoyed a lovely long cycle ride, the walled garden, and just chilling out on the site. I think it’s our first weekend spent on a Club Site in around a decade, so quite interesting. Have to say, there’s a really nice team of staff on the site, and they keep a good eye on everything happening

Francis replied on 12/05/2024 16:03

Posted on 12/05/2024 16:03

We are not long home from a wonderful 10 days at White Water club site in Stockton on tees what a good place we weren’t too sure about it when we booked but were pleasantly surprised such a nice site and so much to do in the area. We were able to visit Newcastke Whitby, Saltburn and some villages up the coast. Also a pub just outside the gate which was convenient and served nice meals. Got some good cycling in as there were some great cycle tracks all along the river side. An area I’d recommend and one we hope to visit again. Easy 4 hour tow home today roads very quiet even around Glasgow. Hoping to get away for a few nights near the end of next week but we shall see. 

Glad to read others are having a nice weekend

Oneputt replied on 12/05/2024 16:52

Posted on 12/05/2024 16:52

Another gorgeous day here.  Went to Heyden  one of our favourite villages.  There have been several changes since our last visit, a large free car park on the left as you enter the village.  There are now some small shops as you walk out of the car park.  The village is own by the family that live in the hall.  The parkland has permissive entry.  The village is often the location for filming.

Leaving Heyden we drove a few miles to St Michaels church at Booton, it’s a wonderful piece of 19th Century architecture but it has an abandon feel

https://heydon.co.uk/heydon-village/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Michael_the_Archangel's_Church%2C_Booton

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook