Visiting Essex, Sailing from Harwich?

Bakers2 replied on 18/11/2018 09:05

Posted on 18/11/2018 09:05

I thought this maybe of interest to those planning a visit to Essex in the next few months or years. Willow sculpture of a WW1 submarine on the beach at Dovercourt. The WW1 subs were surrendered to Harwich after the armistice. The villages of Dovercourt and Harwich are very close, Dovercourt was the bigger until fairly recently. 

LINK

Whilst you're in the area it's worth remembering that The Mayflower sailed from Harwiich, I believe there will be a museum in the house the captain resided in next year. Can't find the link at the mo embarassed

Edit I've tracked in down via another source 😉 link HERE

brue replied on 18/11/2018 09:41

Posted on 18/11/2018 09:41

Thanks B2, I've got Essex in my sights for next year. 

When you mentioned the Mayflower most of us think of it sailing from Plymouth, which it did, but I hadn't realised that it had already started on the journey to America with the Speedwell which sprang a leak and the voyages had to be altered to pick up the stranded passengers. No doubt there are departure stories at each point connected this famous voyage.

I must try to book that CL that you often  mention...smilesmile

Bakers2 replied on 18/11/2018 16:54

Posted on 18/11/2018 16:54

As it was a beautiful day we took ourselves off to visit the willow submarine. MOST IMPORTANT IT IS NOT ON DOVERCOURT BEACH 😲😲. It is on the beach in Harwich by the Wellington Road car park. The car park has no height barrier but isn't suitable for motorhome parking - Street parking nearby.

Had forgotten what a nice place Harwich is to explore, lots of history. Much closed today 😢 it's Sunday and November. So both the maritime and lifeboat museums  with a and Redoubt closed.

We started at Dovercourt and eventually asked where it was to be informed it was Harwich. Dig enjoyed lots of walking but we didn't walk right into Harwich.

Photos show the sculpture,  low light house- now the museum with a "there but not there" sculpture which is hard to see in the photo, the high lighthouse. Nearby is a treadmill crane thought to be the only one in Britain. 

Bakers2 replied on 18/11/2018 17:00

Posted on 18/11/2018 17:00

I must try to book that CL that you often  mention...

brue if you do let me know, maybe we could catch up? It's close enough to home for us 😉. 

Stow Marie's from CL is great but Harwich a bit far and wrong peninsula 😂😂

Always happy to help with ideas of what's local. Colchester worth a look at too 😉

brue replied on 19/11/2018 19:35

Posted on 19/11/2018 19:35

Thanks, I'll keep you posted. Can't do anything till next year, dog is getting too old to plan far ahead.

Bakers2 replied on 20/11/2018 21:40

Posted on 20/11/2018 21:40

I did and thought I had, seems it's a bad request 😤. Find that with BBC on this site, hopefully this works - 5th attempt on this post 😤

Surrender of U boats

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook