Thirty Years of WWW

brue replied on 12/03/2019 11:27

Posted on 12/03/2019 11:27

Well the World Wide Web started 30 years ago today. It's been an amazing journey, most of it good, I certainly have enjoyed using it. Thanks to Tim Berners-Lee and no doubt a team of like minded individuals. I now hear Tim BL has been thinking more about the down side of the web and wonders if there should have been more controls, but I wonder how we'd manage without it?!

Tinwheeler replied on 12/03/2019 11:50

Posted on 12/03/2019 11:50

I remember talk of ‘the information super highway’ and wondering what it was all about. ๐Ÿ˜€

Takethedogalong replied on 12/03/2019 12:19

Posted on 12/03/2019 12:19

Sadly like most things, it has its share of nasty, criminal mindsets. But on the whole it has been amazing and continues to develop. Some of the controls could be better, but that’s down to individuals, companies and Governments.

My 90 year old Mum just loves it. She sadly cannot do much on it for herself, but being able to give her my iPad, and let her browse through photographs of her home town, thousands of them, brings back lovely memories for her, and sparks up all sorts of conversations which she leads. She shakes her head in disbelief at what we can now do.๐Ÿ˜„

Wherenext replied on 12/03/2019 20:33

Posted on 12/03/2019 20:33

I read a letter the other day about someone's elderly mother. It took him ages to get her to understand the basics but eventually she was able to email. So he took it one step further and sent her a photo. She emailed him saying it was fantastic and she didn't realise you could do that. She was so thrilled she printed the photo and trooped down to the Post Office and posted it back to him.smile

I find it amazing and quite British to know that TBL didn't charge, say the minimum coinage in the country of the poster for every time someone used it. Imagine making this wonderful invention free to the world. What a gesture. I'm sure he is disappointed in how some aspects of his invention is now being used.

He should join the pantheons of great British inventors.

replied on 12/03/2019 20:55

Posted on 12/03/2019 20:33 by Wherenext

I raed a letter the other day about someone's elderly mother. It took him ages to get her to understand the basics but eventually she was able to email. So he took it one step further and sent her a photo. She emailed him saying it was fantastic and she didn't realise you could do that. She was so thrilled she printed the photo and trooped down to the Post Office and posted it back to him.smile

I find it amazing and quite British to know that TBL didn't charge, say the minimum coinage in the country of the poster for every time someone used it. Imagine making this wonderful invention free to the world. What a gesture. I'm sure he is disappointed in how some aspects of his invention is now being used.

He should join the pantheons of great British inventors.

Posted on 12/03/2019 20:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

ABM replied on 12/03/2019 21:47

Posted on 12/03/2019 11:50 by Tinwheeler

I remember talk of โ€˜the information super highwayโ€™ and wondering what it was all about. ๐Ÿ˜€

Posted on 12/03/2019 21:47

that  was  about  the  same time  folks  started wwittering  on  about  "The  Paperless  Office"  TW  laughing

Think  the  WWW  cancelled  out  " T P O "  --  and  I  don't  mean  The  Travelling  Post  Office  ( where  mail  got  sorted  on  main  line  trains  )

redface replied on 12/03/2019 23:37

Posted on 12/03/2019 23:37

It would be nice if we could get rid of all those unasked for, irritating ads.

What a pleasure it could be to look at certain sites without them getting in your way.

Tim - you haven't got an invention to do that, have you?

replied on 13/03/2019 06:30

Posted on 12/03/2019 23:37 by redface

It would be nice if we could get rid of all those unasked for, irritating ads.

What a pleasure it could be to look at certain sites without them getting in your way.

Tim - you haven't got an invention to do that, have you?

Posted on 13/03/2019 06:30

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Bakers2 replied on 13/03/2019 06:46

Posted on 12/03/2019 20:55 by

I think he has joined WN.  That said would anyone care to share why he set about the invention.

Posted on 13/03/2019 06:46

I seem to recall my uncle telling me in the very early days, he was a science teacher at the time it started, it was so all the scientists at Cerne could all keep up-to-date with developments without needing to meet to keep abreast.

What a game changer it's been. Shame there's always someone who wants to exploit others for their own gain - totally opposite to the inventor, be that watching stealing etc. I'm delighted I'm far more involved with our daughter and her children who live the other side of the planet than it would otherwise be if it hadn't been invented.

I needed to change a light fitting as 2 bulbs of 3 had gone and neither OH,son or I could remove the bulbs. Asked my brother if he could sort, he asked for photo - no Internet impossible, he arrived with new bulbs and a tool to remove blown bulbs. Quite a saving. I say this to illustrate how some inventions are more bizarre - never come across that before!

SteveL replied on 13/03/2019 08:22

Posted on 13/03/2019 08:22

It's was very useful this week when our washing machine went wrong. Googled error code, watched UT video on how to fix, googled part and ordered. Arrived next day and now all working again ๐Ÿคžfor £20. The savings on the repair man will help pay the broadband bill.๐Ÿ˜‰

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook