The Silent Killer

Yertiz replied on 02/05/2017 20:59

Posted on 02/05/2017 20:59

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)

I make no apologies for the following warning about the above “silent killer” condition. My purpose in posting this is to ensure that anyone reading this is fully aware of the condition and the consequences of ignoring any invitation to attend any screening that your local NHS many offer / advise. Also to give hope to anyone in a similar position
If I can encourage anyone invited not to ignore the invitation or to discuss the condition with their health professional then I will consider it all worthwhile.

It's coming around to my anniversary, (2 years ago) when I was invited to attend my local doctor's surgery so I could have an ultrasound test to ascertain that things were all ok when she announced that she had found an 6.5cm aneurysm and that I would need a an urgent operation and she arranged for me to see the Consultant the following day! She asked if I had driven to the surgery, which I hadn't, as she said that I could not drive until I had been given the all clear by the Consultant.

I had an open AAA on the 6th May 2015 and spent 6 days in Intensive Care at Derby Royal Hospital then 6 months recovering back to my normal self, having cancelled all our holiday plans during this time too.

Thankfully, I have recovered apart from developing an inguinal hernia which I had repaired last year.

I cannot thank the team who looked after me at the Hospital and the nursing team there too enough. They were brilliant!

Subsequently, I found out that I was very near to losing my life because of this condition and consider myself extremely lucky to be posting this today, so please, if you haven't heard of this condition, look it up or if you are invited to attend a screening, please, please do it. It could save your life!!

There are plenty of links on the internet where you can find out more about it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, only posting because I care!

Brian

Bakers2 replied on 02/05/2017 21:21

Posted on 02/05/2017 21:21

Good post. Glad yours was caught in time. I lost my aunt and godmother with this almost three years ago. No symptoms then abdominal pain opened her up and closed as nothing could be done. Huge hole in my life 😢. Hubby was called for check last year and given the all clear. I agree when you are called attend.

Yertiz replied on 02/05/2017 21:35

Posted on 02/05/2017 21:35

Thanks B2, sorry about your sad losses but spot on about the lack of symptoms. I've spoken to lots of people about this condition since my scare, personal and professional and the number of people who have lost family and friends to AAA astounds me and as you said no warning!

Scary stuff reallycry

Yertiz replied on 02/05/2017 21:44

Posted on 02/05/2017 21:39 by Bakers2

Whoops badly worded sorry. My dearest aunt was also my godmother. 

Posted on 02/05/2017 21:44

Not a problem. Still a sad losscry

Vicmallows replied on 02/05/2017 22:09

Posted on 02/05/2017 22:09

Yes, a very worthwhile reminder to all. I had never even heard of AAA until called for a screening ... fortunately all clear.

I would also like to see organised screening for potential melanoma (skin cancer).  Very easy as it simply needs a thorough visual examination by someone who knows what they are looking for. My wife spotted mine after it became quite large and ulcerated (I could not even see it myself). After referral by my GP it was dealt with very promptly by NHS.  That was 2.5 years ago, but they say it is 5 years before the possibility that it might have  spread becomes minimal.

ValDa replied on 02/05/2017 22:33

Posted on 02/05/2017 22:33

Well posted Vic!  I have posted in another thread of two people I know who had aortic aneurysms and who had emergency surgery and were lucky to survive - one of my oldest (female) friends was one of the two. Men are now invited for screening, but I haven't yet seen this extended to women, although it can kill women too - and just as quickly.

I would also urge everyone to take advantage of this screening.  Fortunately my OH's scan was completely normal.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/05/2017 00:22

Posted on 03/05/2017 00:22

I posted about this subject on the old forum a year or two ago. Men of a certain age can request to be screened. You can check this website on screening in your area. Apparently women are much less likely to suffer from this condition but I suppose if any of the ladies have any concerns they should perhaps discuss it with their doctor.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook