The Pointless Page

Oneputt replied on 14/01/2018 14:03

Posted on 14/01/2018 10:35 by Metheven

Perhaps I have more money than you or maybe I'm wasteful, perhaps I don't care or perhaps I just fancied one without the bother of cooking..wink

Posted on 14/01/2018 14:03

Wow a multibillionaire🤡

Metheven replied on 14/01/2018 14:34

Posted on 14/01/2018 14:34

What! to purchase a pizza, you poor thing I think you are misinformed on the cost frown but I'd drop a penny or two into your begging bowl if you have never experienced a takeaway 🍕🍕🍕 Only to glad to share my wealth and help out 👍

replied on 14/01/2018 14:50

Posted on 14/01/2018 11:02 by

I doubt that you were at North Ledaig in mid winter Malc. smile

My outfits over the last 12 years have generally been around 5.4m internal 7m shipping and so, yes, shorter than yours. I know that when I had blown air up until 6 years ago I found it difficult to regulate and would run on 1kw overnight less I wake up in a sweat in mid December. When I had a problem with the fluid mix on the previous Alde I had to use 1kw during our two week December break as the system was kettling on 2kw. Tose were temperatures down to freezing. If it had been -14C as on one winter then I would doubtless have needed to use 2 kw and boiled water for a brew on gas. Also knock it down to 1 kw at meal times but then cooking would have replaced the lost heat. 

Posted on 14/01/2018 14:50

I was there in June 2017, EasyT.

Tammygirl replied on 14/01/2018 17:59

Posted on 14/01/2018 11:21 by Justus2

Sometimes we order a takeaway pizza, sometimes we cook a bought pizza, sometimes we make our own from scratch.

Also on the EHU point, we sometimes use sites with only a 10 amp supply because the site is where we want to be, like many we also have gas on board and are not afraid of using it if we need to, even in winter ..... wink

I don't believe we are that unusual. innocent

Posted on 14/01/2018 17:59

Certainly you are not unusual, we use 6 amp sites and don't have a problem with tripping the electric even in winter. However unlike Malc we don't heat an awning, or have the heating on 3 kw or aircon or an oven in the awning.

What amuses me is that if the electric goes off, for what ever reason, he seems to panic, Malc just for information your fridge freezer will be fine for up to 24hrs in all but the hottest of weather, even if you don't want to put it onto gas. When you get your EV this might be an option overnight during the winter, turn the fridge off and plug in the EV. In the morning unplug the EV and switch the fridge back on, easy peasey wink

Pizza? what are they surprisedlaughing

replied on 14/01/2018 18:22

Posted on 14/01/2018 18:22

Malc just for information your fridge freezer will be fine for up to 24hrs in all but the hottest of weather.

Indeed it will as it is a superb cooler in such events. 

KjellNN replied on 14/01/2018 21:07

Posted on 14/01/2018 21:07

Gas is great stuff for heating and cooking with, we frequently use gas in the caravan.  Lowest amp site we have used was a 4 amp Dutch Caravan Club one, enough to run the charger, lights and fridge.

We survived fine, that was in May a few years back.

Malcolm, the Club cannot dictate to an AS regarding rules or how much electricity they provide, they are independant businessses.

SELL replied on 14/01/2018 23:17

Posted on 14/01/2018 17:59 by Tammygirl

Certainly you are not unusual, we use 6 amp sites and don't have a problem with tripping the electric even in winter. However unlike Malc we don't heat an awning, or have the heating on 3 kw or aircon or an oven in the awning.

What amuses me is that if the electric goes off, for what ever reason, he seems to panic, Malc just for information your fridge freezer will be fine for up to 24hrs in all but the hottest of weather, even if you don't want to put it onto gas. When you get your EV this might be an option overnight during the winter, turn the fridge off and plug in the EV. In the morning unplug the EV and switch the fridge back on, easy peasey wink

Pizza? what are they surprisedlaughing

Posted on 14/01/2018 23:17

But will the beer still be cold in the morning (lol)

cariadon replied on 15/01/2018 10:06

Posted on 14/01/2018 10:28 by

It can be a problem and inconvenience, EasyT. North Ledaig affiliated site not only had 10 amp EHU but there was also the problem that if the bollard tripped, you couldn't flick a switch to reset it yourself. You had to ask the warden to do it and wait with no electricity until he bacame available. If it happened at night you would be without power until next morning.

Posted on 15/01/2018 10:06

The reason a bollard switch trips, because of too many appliances in use or a faulty appliance. Many people can survive on 10 amps, cookers in caravans are gas, if you want to use your own electric cooker then you need to make sure you have switched everything else off, simples. Otherwise you will find yourself in the dark.

replied on 15/01/2018 10:41

Posted on 15/01/2018 10:06 by cariadon

The reason a bollard switch trips, because of too many appliances in use or a faulty appliance. Many people can survive on 10 amps, cookers in caravans are gas, if you want to use your own electric cooker then you need to make sure you have switched everything else off, simples. Otherwise you will find yourself in the dark.

Posted on 15/01/2018 10:41

Our caravan cooker is dual fuel. It has one electric hob and 3 gas hobs but we never use the gas hobs, nor the gas oven because at £25 per cylinder, it is far too costly! So in addition to this we have a two hob with oven portable cooker which we use in the awning that runs on electric. Everything else runs on electric: fridge, Alde heating, hot water, kettle, toaster, microwave oven. Other people who may have older caravans with mostly gas appliances may be able to survive on 10 amps, however, for us, even 16 amps is not enough!

When we stayed at North Ledaig, we did manage by only using one appliance at a time and switching others off but it was inconvenient to do so and we wouldn't use that site again when there's another club site in Oban that does offer the club standard of 16 amps.

Yertiz replied on 15/01/2018 10:46

Posted on 15/01/2018 10:41 by

Our caravan cooker is dual fuel. It has one electric hob and 3 gas hobs but we never use the gas hobs, nor the gas oven because at £25 per cylinder, it is far too costly! So in addition to this we have a two hob with oven portable cooker which we use in the awning that runs on electric. Everything else runs on electric: fridge, Alde heating, hot water, kettle, toaster, microwave oven. Other people who may have older caravans with mostly gas appliances may be able to survive on 10 amps, however, for us, even 16 amps is not enough!

Posted on 15/01/2018 10:46

You may not have the use of many of those appliances when you've plugged your EV in then wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook