Scenic Bus Routes

brue replied on 13/05/2018 17:03

Posted on 13/05/2018 17:03

If you're one of the bus pass brigade or just like using buses this is quite a good list of scenic bus routes. I've just voted for my favourite but you can also add your own. Some nice routes on here, especially if you're off in your van somewhere and want to use a bus. My favourites are in the Lakes but there are plenty to choose from in these scenic areas of the UK. A handy list to have if you're out and about. smile

Scenic Bus Routes LINK

DavidKlyne replied on 13/05/2018 23:15

Posted on 13/05/2018 23:15

Brue

I have not been on any of the ones mentioned but I would share my admiration for the drivers on many of the routes we have been on. On the IOW on one bus we were on I have no idea how he coaxed a double decker along the route. There are also an almost equal number of lady drivers now with the same skills.

David

replied on 14/05/2018 06:48

Posted on 14/05/2018 06:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 14/05/2018 08:43

Posted on 14/05/2018 08:43

Oh that's a pity it must have closed on the day I posted, it was visible earlier. Maybe the lists will be re-printed, they were extensive and worth looking at. Will see if they around somewhere else. Maybe the winning lists will include the whole lot later. 

edit yes, it looks as though a complete list will appear on a web site later.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 28/05/2018 09:44

Posted on 28/05/2018 09:44

It is a beautiful area around the North Yorkshire Moors to Whitby, I can’t vouch for the bus journey but the NYM’s particularly in that area are spectacular👍🏻😊

DavidKlyne replied on 17/07/2018 18:05

Posted on 17/07/2018 18:05

Today we traveled from Hebden Bridge to Haworth by bus. I reckon that is pretty scenic route and a challenging one to drive!!!

David

brue replied on 18/07/2018 11:37

Posted on 18/07/2018 11:37

Whilst in Exmouth we discovered, too late, the open top tourist bus that goes along the coast and Exe estuary.

tombar replied on 28/07/2018 14:43

Posted on 28/07/2018 14:43

I used to remember as a kid, you could go for evening bus trips, or even day trips on a "charrah" (not sure how to spell it).  Coming from Manchester, we had Fieldsons.  They went all over the country.  The furthest day we had was to London.  Visited Warwick Castle, Chester Zoo, into North Wales, even a trip to the Blackpool Illuminations.  And the cost was affordable for families.  Oh happy memorieslaughing

LeTouriste replied on 28/07/2018 16:42

Posted on 28/07/2018 16:42

The last time we took the 'park-and-ride' into Falmouth, I was amazed how the driver got the bus through the narrow streets with parked cars, without a single prang!

My most memorable bus tour was, when quite a young lad, we went on a tour of the I.O.M TT route.  The bus was a Bedford Duple, with a jockey seat on the opposite side of the engine cowling to the driver, and the only seat forward of the entry door.   Besides his commentary to the passengers, he gave me some additional anecdotes of boyish interest as we circumnavigated the tour.

In later years, as a young man, I covered the same route in my 1938 Standard 9 - and got the engine overheated a few times along the way. Coming down Crag-Ne-Baa (can't promise spelling) I got brake fade as I approached the r/h bend at the Keppel Hotel, and had to take the bend at a scarily fast speed.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook