Scams

pip the beast replied on 15/01/2016 15:28

Posted on 15/01/2016 15:28

Recieved an email last week supposedly from barclays saying that because there was missing information about me they were closing my account. But they go on to say that they are doing everything that they can to help me keep the account  open and that I need to click on the link provided and submit updated information about my self. 

The email didn't address me by name, just  hello. 

Today received an email from natwest  saying that they had deactivated my account due to a security issue and to click on the link provided to reactivate my account. 

This time the email started with dear customer. 

As I have not had a account  with either must assume that they are scams. 

Did inform barclays but they didn't seem interested. 

So it seems the scammers are out in force. 

Be careful when you click on any links in emails. 

Vicmallows replied on 15/01/2016 15:32

Posted on 15/01/2016 15:32

Surprised that this is the first time you have encountered this pathetic scam. I must have been receiving at least 1 a week of this type for a good few years.

If you include similar scams claiming to be from places other than banks it must be at least one a DAY.  The one thing they all have in common is an attachment or link Sad

pip the beast replied on 15/01/2016 15:53

Posted on 15/01/2016 15:53

First time I've had these sort of scams. 

But have had some body trying to spend on my credit card three times. Cancelled the card,  TESCO'S card,  told them I was convinced it was someone at tesco that was responsible

DavidKlyne replied on 15/01/2016 16:48

Posted on 15/01/2016 16:48

But have had some body trying to spend on my credit card three times. Cancelled the card,  TESCO'S card,  told them I was convinced it was someone at tesco that was responsible

Why would you reach that conclusion that it was a Tesco staff member? 

David

JillwithaJay replied on 15/01/2016 18:29

Posted on 15/01/2016 18:29

Regarding the scam relating to the Tesco card, might I comment that a couple of years ago our Sainsbury's card was 'cloned' in Sainsbury's and the problem was traced back to a batch of card readers delivered to the store but which turned out to have been 'doctored'  at source.  Fortunately for us, we weren't out of pocket but it proves that it can happen when you least expect it.

300 siggy photo 6b161378-22ab-47bd-97dd-22af5e8f67ba_zpsbtkpqljt.jpg

Graydjames replied on 15/01/2016 20:34

Posted on 15/01/2016 20:34

Completely agree with Vicmallows above. This must be the oldest and commonest example of email phishing in the book. Like him I get several of these every week and have done for almost as many years as online banking has been in existence.

The real point is that banks will never ask you to respond in the way described whether you have an account with them or not.

Worrying that whilst pip the beast guessed it was a scam there must still be people around who might get caught out by this.

pip the beast replied on 15/01/2016 22:19

Posted on 15/01/2016 22:19

Why would you reach that conclusion that it was a Tesco staff member? 

David

Write your comments here...because the original card was replaced twice in six months and is the only card I have had trouble with. In TESCO'S defence they are quick to block a card after unusual transactions. In my case they were always for Microsoft goods. 

ValDa replied on 15/01/2016 22:28

Posted on 15/01/2016 22:28

I hate the scam which purports to being from someone you know well, saying that they are in some sort of critical situation somewhere, and asking that you send them some cash.  Whilst I know none of my friends would ask for help in this way, my 93 year old friend was fooled when she got such a message purporting to be from her (ex) daughter in law, supposedly stuck in London (she lives in Canada) having had all her cards, and cash stolen.  It was plausibly worded, and she sent the sum, as requested.  

She was horrified when, after she'd told me about it, I said it was a scam.  Fortunately it was only a short time after she'd sent the money, and the bank stopped the transaction after she spoke to them, and they also tried to follow up the bank account set up to receive the 'donation'!  I'm not sure what the result was, but at least she got her money back.

TheAdmiral replied on 15/01/2016 22:34

Posted on 15/01/2016 22:34

I have had three phone calls within the last four days asking me to switch on my computer as they think that I have a problem with mine, they would not confirm who they were calling on behalf of, so I told them to Bugger Off (or something like that)

Admiral

redface replied on 16/01/2016 20:33

Posted on 16/01/2016 20:33

Every time I get a call to say that my Windows is faulty I tell them to hang on whilst I check, upstairs and downstairs, then confirm to them that the double glazing is OK after all.

They ask in a puzzled,non english, accent what am I talking about?  Then they ring off when the penny drops.

SteveL replied on 17/01/2016 17:10

Posted on 17/01/2016 17:10

I hate the scam which purports to being from someone you know well, saying that they are in some sort of critical situation somewhere, and asking that you send them some cash.  Whilst I know none of my friends would ask for help in this way, my 93 year old friend was fooled when she got such a message purporting to be from her (ex) daughter in law, supposedly stuck in London (she lives in Canada) having had all her cards, and cash stolen.  It was plausibly worded, and she sent the sum, as requested.  

She was horrified when, after she'd told me about it, I said it was a scam.  Fortunately it was only a short time after she'd sent the money, and the bank stopped the transaction after she spoke to them, and they also tried to follow up the bank account set up to receive the 'donation'!  I'm not sure what the result was, but at least she got her money back.

we have had a couple of these, supposedly from an acquaintance stuck abroad without passport etc. We passed the info on to the person named so they could check their card security

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook