Sailing on The Fal

TonyBurton replied on 05/07/2019 20:54

Posted on 05/07/2019 20:54

I wanted to highlight our recent sailing trip on the Fal Estuary. We were able to hire a Cornish Shrimper. A neat little gaff rigged cruiser with a small cuddy for two. Although I have 60 years of sailing experience I have no RYA qualifications. They were quite happy for me to hire their boat. We stayed nearby on a CL at Restronguet Barton. The Fal Estuary must have some of the best sailing waters in England. We were also able to sail across the bay to The Helford River. It was a memorable time for us, reliving some of our sailor trailing days before we reverted to caravanning. You can enjoy trips around the Fal on the many ferries running out from Falmouth Pier or the Falmouth Quay.

Moderator Edit:

Part of your post has been Deleted User as it's against our T&Cs to advertise.

richardandros replied on 06/07/2019 06:41

Posted on 06/07/2019 06:41

Gosh - you were brave taking your caravan there!!cool. We were staying at Carnon Downs just over a week ago and had a trip out to the Pandora one day (we stayed in a cottage next door to it, 5 years ago).  Lovely spot. It's one area I've never sailed in.

brue replied on 06/07/2019 08:02

Posted on 06/07/2019 08:02

It's a CL we would use and is in a good spot, you could trailer a boat down there and they'll store it for you. Nice to hear about your stay. 

TonyBurton replied on 06/07/2019 15:24

Posted on 06/07/2019 07:52 by cyberyacht

Sounds tempting. I still get withdrawal symptoms from time to time.

Posted on 06/07/2019 15:24

I know the feeling Cyberyacht. I'm not allowed to mention the boat yard on the quay at Mylor. You'll just have to browse Cornish Shrimper.

BTW we've also met our sailing craving by hiring a couple of half deckers on the Norfolk Broads. There's a CL at Eastwoods Whelpton right next to two beautiful wooden gaff half deckers. The CL owner will be able to help you.

TonyBurton replied on 06/07/2019 15:44

Posted on 06/07/2019 06:41 by richardandros

Gosh - you were brave taking your caravan there!!cool. We were staying at Carnon Downs just over a week ago and had a trip out to the Pandora one day (we stayed in a cottage next door to it, 5 years ago).  Lovely spot. It's one area I've never sailed in.

Posted on 06/07/2019 15:44

It wasn't too bad Richard. Fortunately I ignored the satnav and followed their instructions. There were quite a few passing places along the route. Most of the other vans on the site were big twin axle jobs. Did you have a good meal at the Pandora? Did you see a couple with two Jack Russells sitting on the pontoon?

Takethedogalong replied on 07/07/2019 12:34

Posted on 07/07/2019 12:34

Sounds lovely Tony, we know area well. Not sailing, but we used to canoe River Fowey. Lots of folks using campsite we stayed on towed boats down, as campsite had its own launch Quay and pontoons. It’s still going, but now a good bit larger and more modern. Last time I was on Fal, took Mum and Dad on boat trip almost into Truro, very interesting. Love watching all the comings and goings on the water.😁

richardandros replied on 10/07/2019 13:38

Posted on 10/07/2019 13:38

"Did you see a couple with two Jack Russells sitting on the pontoon?"

Can't say that I did, Tony - but if you saw a distraught Cockapoo owner legging it from the beach after said Cockapoo suddenly stopped sniffing around and shot off into the pub after her mum who had gone to the loo - that was me.  It was chaos in there as the staff chased her out of the kitchens - and of course, the fact that it's quite dim in there didn't help me at all!embarassed They all thought it was rather funny, thank goodness.

Merve replied on 19/07/2019 21:47

Posted on 19/07/2019 21:47

The Fal is certainly a lovely place. I have wonderful memories of holidays down there staying at Gwendreath Caravan Park near Kennack Sands when the kids were small-   Fowey and the surrounds are lovely. We went on a river trip up to the Heron pub for lunch and then a return in the afternoon. Cornwall has much to offer and the Pastys are the cherry on the cake!!

TonyBurton replied on 27/07/2019 16:24

Posted on 26/07/2019 13:43 by brue

Just in case you wondered what it might be like out there, spot the dolphins too. smile

Posted on 27/07/2019 16:24

Thanks for that Brue. We sailed with dolphins in the Fal many years ago but didn't see any on our latest trip. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook