Rare Harrier deaths

IanH replied on 12/02/2017 18:40

Posted on 12/02/2017 18:40

Apparently the police have been investigating the deaths of a number of rare Harriers in and around the Sandringham estate. The most recent was tracked (using a transponder ring) close to the castle when it died.

When police investigated, it seems that the dead bird had been incinerated before it could be examined.

The royals are known for their love of killing animals.

In 2014 the police carried out a similar investigation, when a tagged Montague Harrier went missing. Again, all evidence had been destroyed.

In 2007 police also carried out an investigation, when members of the public reported seeing Hen Harriers being "blasted out of the sky". According to the police, Prince Harry and one of his chums were shooting and killing ducks and pigeons at the time. They denied any knowledge of the dead Harrier.

I wonder what could be happening?

Wherenext replied on 13/02/2017 20:03

Posted on 13/02/2017 20:03

We stayed at Sandringham in autumn, 2014 and again in 2015. So what I hear you say? In both years we used the road that leads past the Royal Stud. This is a long tree lined road running for about a mile or so. In 2014 the road was inundated with Woodpigeons feeding on the edge. Masses of them, a true bane of caravanning life at the Sandringham site. In 2015 there was hardly a one. Hundreds went missing. There was no drop off of numvers on the CC site just on the Sandringham estate itself. Now I do understand that these birds are not protected and they are not my favourite bird but somebody is getting rid of them and who is likely to confront our privelged few? No copper who values his pension thats for sure.

redface replied on 13/02/2017 20:07

Posted on 13/02/2017 20:07

Could it be that the harriers have an urge to commit suicide?

Merve replied on 20/02/2017 19:38

Posted on 20/02/2017 19:38

I am a keen pigeon shooter. I consider pigeon shooting the most skilful of all the shooting disciplines. These birds are a plague on some farms, especially those growing OSR, peas, beans etc. They can devastate a field of crops. Don't worry though, they estimate 30 million of these destructive pests are resident in this country- if I shoot 2 dozen I consider I've done well! They are good eating too. Restaurants will seek them. 

IanH replied on 20/02/2017 19:44

Posted on 20/02/2017 19:44

Whilst I could never support killing for sport or 'pleasure', killing rare harriers goes another step beyond the defnition of anything that can be condoned.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook