Pub Chain Bans Use of Phones

JillwithaJay replied on 30/03/2019 08:00

Posted on 30/03/2019 08:00

Brave decision indeed but I'd support them.

I've just spent three days at what was considered to be a top hotel with spa facilities.  The facilities were wonderful but the lounge bar area was like an open plan office; laptops and phones everywhere you looked,  with business meetings going on all day and evening every day and we even had interviews taking place at the next table to us.  Not the relaxing atmosphere we'd hoped for. 

With sufficient accommodation within the building, including a conference suite, we weren't impressed with the use of the lounge area but the hotel clearly had no objections.  One to cross off as we won't return.

I dislike sitting down for a restaurant meal to be faced with groups of 'diners' all on their mobile phones.

replied on 30/03/2019 08:25

Posted on 30/03/2019 08:25

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 30/03/2019 08:29

Posted on 30/03/2019 08:29

Ok then, out you all go when you're posting on CT. No inside posting allowed....laughing

Busyelf replied on 30/03/2019 09:12

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:12

The idea of restaurants and cafe's.pubs and other eateries, is that the clients are there for social reasons. i.e to talk to each other face to face, enjoy a meal and relax.

I think it's a great idea to ban phones, tablets and the likes, from these places. As you check in your coat to the cloakrooms, you could have a system where you check in your portable devices also. 

I did take my laptop on our last weekend away but had little time or inclination to use it.

Caravanning or Mototohoming/camping, means getting away from it all. so why would you need a laptop/phone anyways?

For those who just can't miss a Netflix 'first' or the new blockbuster  on 'YouTube' then your certainly not going to get the best from CAMC site wi-fi. Also at £3.00 a day per device, it's just not cost effective.

Speaking of Internet access, would it be possible to have a 'wired' RJ45 point for each unit at the mains outlet post next to the pitch,  rather than rely on the rather slow and sometimes unreliable Wi-Fi ?

Tinwheeler replied on 30/03/2019 09:22

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:12 by Busyelf

The idea of restaurants and cafe's.pubs and other eateries, is that the clients are there for social reasons. i.e to talk to each other face to face, enjoy a meal and relax.

I think it's a great idea to ban phones, tablets and the likes, from these places. As you check in your coat to the cloakrooms, you could have a system where you check in your portable devices also. 

I did take my laptop on our last weekend away but had little time or inclination to use it.

Caravanning or Mototohoming/camping, means getting away from it all. so why would you need a laptop/phone anyways?

For those who just can't miss a Netflix 'first' or the new blockbuster  on 'YouTube' then your certainly not going to get the best from CAMC site wi-fi. Also at £3.00 a day per device, it's just not cost effective.

Speaking of Internet access, would it be possible to have a 'wired' RJ45 point for each unit at the mains outlet post next to the pitch,  rather than rely on the rather slow and sometimes unreliable Wi-Fi ?

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:22

Speaking of Internet access, would it be possible to have a 'wired' RJ45 point for each unit at the mains outlet post next to the pitch, rather than rely on the rather slow and sometimes unreliable Wi-Fi ?”

Why would you want it (whatever it is) when you’ve already effectively said there’s no call for lappies/phones when caravanning as you’re there to get away from it all? 

Justus2 replied on 30/03/2019 09:32

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:32

For me a smart phone is just part of life now. You have everything on them these days. If you go out with friends you may want to show each other some pictures or whatever of what happens to come up in conversation. I don't agree with customers being glued to phones in a way that implies it's more important than the people that you are with, but they are a handy tool, and are useful sometimes. Its a pocket computer. There are things that I find far more irritating in pubs than people on their phones, TVs in pubs being a pet hate of mine. Sam Smith's must be doing really well though, as its a brave choice to do anything which may drive away potential customers, especially in the pub trade.

replied on 30/03/2019 09:35

Posted on 30/03/2019 08:29 by brue

Ok then, out you all go when you're posting on CT. No inside posting allowed....laughing

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:35

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 30/03/2019 09:37

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:37

It doesn't bother me in most places, trains and theatres usually means close proximity so not keen on that if I'm next to the user. I always find it sad when parents of young children sit with phones, ignoring their offspring, presumably the offspring will then do the same to their parents sooner rather than later. wink

brue replied on 30/03/2019 09:38

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:35 by

No problem.  

Sent from my smart phone whilst eating breakfast in the garden, ignoring my wife.  She says I don't listen to her; or something like that undecided.

Posted on 30/03/2019 09:38

I sent mine from bed, I was sharing it with the cat, who was waiting to text Larry, so I said you'll have to do that outside. laughing

SteveL replied on 30/03/2019 10:23

Posted on 30/03/2019 10:23

It depends on the circumstances. A person on there own using their phone in a silent manner (not for calls) I can't see the problem. A group of four who have met up for a drink, it seems a bit silly. Although again if it is silent use, it is there choice and does not really annoy anyone. Pads in particular are used for so much these days, including reading a book or a newspaper. I read mine while eating breakfast. In the past it would have been the paper variety.😀

However, parents / kids ignoring each other at the table by being glued to their devices is just plain wrong. For me though the worst is the mother / father with the push chair, glued to their phone call / texting. Even crossing roads, totally oblivious to everything around.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook