Premium Bonds - how annoying is this?

moulesy replied on 24/09/2020 17:17

Posted on 24/09/2020 17:17

From next March, premium bond prize winnings will not come as cheques in the post but be paid directly into your bank account.

All well and good if they already know your bank account details but, if not .....

...you can register to tell them on line ......but to register you need a password and to get a password you have to phone an 08 number. When you phone that 08 number you're told there is a long wait (up to 50 minutes yesterday) so please do it on line instead ..... so you go on line and find you ...er....have to ring that 08 number etc etc.... and so it goes on. yell

We only found about this by accident, presumably at some stage before March they will write to let all bond holders know. I guess we'll just have to wait until then! frown

ABM replied on 24/09/2020 17:32

Posted on 24/09/2020 17:32

Don't be too hard on 'em Mr Moulesy, 'cos they are probably terrified of answering the phone now that they have reduced the interest they give down to very close to minus figures !!

Takethedogalong replied on 24/09/2020 18:05

Posted on 24/09/2020 18:05

I seem to recall setting it up a while ago being a bit of a faff. At least the 08 number is now free M, it used to be a premium rate to call them😱

good luck

redface replied on 24/09/2020 21:24

Posted on 24/09/2020 21:24

Yet another area for scammers to operate in!

I can see emails along the lines of 'you have won our £1m prize but you need to send us your bank account details before we can pay you.'

'If you prefer to receive a cheque please send us our administration fee of £100.'

Hmm - I see a new employment opportunity opening up for me!

Tinwheeler replied on 24/09/2020 21:37

Posted on 24/09/2020 17:17 by moulesy

From next March, premium bond prize winnings will not come as cheques in the post but be paid directly into your bank account.

All well and good if they already know your bank account details but, if not .....

...you can register to tell them on line ......but to register you need a password and to get a password you have to phone an 08 number. When you phone that 08 number you're told there is a long wait (up to 50 minutes yesterday) so please do it on line instead ..... so you go on line and find you ...er....have to ring that 08 number etc etc.... and so it goes on. yell

We only found about this by accident, presumably at some stage before March they will write to let all bond holders know. I guess we'll just have to wait until then! frown

Posted on 24/09/2020 21:37

I don’t know if things have changed, M, but I registered some years ago online and it was straightforward. Now my winnings go straight in the bank and get there quicker than a cheque would drop through my letterbox. I think it’s a vast improvement plus I don’t have the hassle of getting the winnings to my bank.

davetommo replied on 24/09/2020 21:43

Posted on 24/09/2020 21:37 by Tinwheeler

I don’t know if things have changed, M, but I registered some years ago online and it was straightforward. Now my winnings go straight in the bank and get there quicker than a cheque would drop through my letterbox. I think it’s a vast improvement plus I don’t have the hassle of getting the winnings to my bank.

Posted on 24/09/2020 21:43

Same here but odd £25 pounds I win every 3 years or so goes into more bonds.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook