Phone Scam

briantimber replied on 16/03/2018 21:44

Posted on 16/03/2018 21:44

Call left on our answer machine late this morning, supposedly from HMRC Officer Lisa, asking me to phone back without delay or face impending legal consequences with regard to a serious case against my name.

The number  to call was 2922550404, only ten digits instead of eleven, needless to say, I treated it as a scam. If you google the number, it's cropped up all over the country.

Hope this stops anybody being Duped.......cool 

Tinwheeler replied on 16/03/2018 22:04

Posted on 16/03/2018 22:04

Cheers, BT.

I’ve heard before of scam calls purporting to be from HMRC. I treat all calls with the deepest suspicion.

Oneputt replied on 16/03/2018 23:03

Posted on 16/03/2018 23:03

Yes, the HRMC scam has been around for a couple of years.

Today Mrs. one had a letter proporting to come from her. Bank saying her internet had been disabled and to call a number which of course she didn’t.  As we were going to her bank anyway she took the letter and the bank checked it out and sure enough it was a scam which we new anyway as she has never had internet bankinglaughing

DavidKlyne replied on 17/03/2018 00:14

Posted on 17/03/2018 00:14

I am almost surprised that they left a message. We have recently changed our landline phone provider and decided to have call monitoring. We now get an idea of where the call is coming from. When they go to the answer phone I am yet to get a message left, they hang up in seconds.

David

SteveL replied on 17/03/2018 10:51

Posted on 17/03/2018 00:14 by DavidKlyne

I am almost surprised that they left a message. We have recently changed our landline phone provider and decided to have call monitoring. We now get an idea of where the call is coming from. When they go to the answer phone I am yet to get a message left, they hang up in seconds.

David

Posted on 17/03/2018 10:51

The only ones that tend to leave a message on our system. Which diverts all non recognised numbers to answerphone, are ones with health services in there name. They are not I suppose strictly scams, as they say there is no cause for concern and give you a name to ask for when you ring them back on a the quoted number. When I Googled one of the numbers, the information showed it to be a provider of mobility aids and the online reviews were not complimentary about their service. I am sure a lot of folk would be persuaded by the health services bit to just ring back and then get talked into buying something.

cariadon replied on 17/03/2018 17:33

Posted on 17/03/2018 17:33

I did have a call from somebody the other day saying there was a problem with my windows, told him that yes they were a bit dirty after the snow and that one had blown, but other than that they were fine and kept the house nice and warm, didn't quite catch his comment before he slammed the phone down.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook