Philips Hue

DSB replied on 24/05/2018 15:34

Posted on 24/05/2018 15:34

Just started to switch to Philips Hue lighting at home.  We've just bought the starter kit at the moment and it seems to be working OK.  I think I've managed to get the lights to switch on when I approach the house after dark and I've set a timer.  I can see I'll be spending money on extra bulbs now to gradually get all the lights switched to Hue.

Anyone had my experience of Philips Hue and how do you get on with it?

David

Oneputt replied on 24/05/2018 15:43

Posted on 24/05/2018 15:43

Sounds expensive already David.  No experience of such new fangled technology, I just switch the torch on my phone on, it’s only a tenner a month and with it I get phone calls, texts and data.🀑

Only joking David hope it all works out.

DSB replied on 24/05/2018 17:54

Posted on 24/05/2018 15:43 by Oneputt

Sounds expensive already David.  No experience of such new fangled technology, I just switch the torch on my phone on, it’s only a tenner a month and with it I get phone calls, texts and data.🀑

Only joking David hope it all works out.

Posted on 24/05/2018 17:54

πŸ˜€  I know it is a little expensive, but I have seen my son's and was quite impressed with the variety of effects and mood lighting.  I bought the starter kit mainly with amazon vouchers for by birthday.  Perhaps I'll have to wait until my next birthday or Christmas for the next instalment.

David

byron replied on 24/05/2018 20:37

Posted on 24/05/2018 20:37

During a long term stay in Sydney I noticed a number of houses with red lights outside them, I did visit one when I had cause to see a doctor

lornalou1 replied on 25/05/2018 19:30

Posted on 25/05/2018 19:30

sound like the Christmas film with Danny Devito. deck the halls. funny film. 

richardandros replied on 26/05/2018 14:26

Posted on 26/05/2018 14:26

I looked at the Hue system and thought it was an expensive solution.  Having previously tried mechanical and electronic timers which were generally unreliable, I went down the path of Wifi sockets.  I think 6 cost me less than £80.

I got them to put lights on, mainly when we were away in the van so that the house didn't obviously look unoccupied and I am able to switch them on either remotely from my phone, or set automatic timers.  Admittedly, they will only work with items which are plugged in, as opposed to being controlled by a switch, but they do the job extremely well.(With a bit of a modification, I did, however, manage to get control of the under-cupboard lights in the kitchen.) Have also changed all the light bulbs in the house over to LEDs to save power.

jennyc replied on 31/05/2018 04:42

Posted on 31/05/2018 04:42

Remote light switching is a fast evolving technology, which can only get better. To simplify things by standardisation, we’ve opted for LightwaveRF switches, plug in sockets. and relays. Their little remote controllers work as a convenient alternative to your phone. But these systems really come into their own using Amazon Alexa voice control. My son is using switches which via his Hive controller, so you don’t have to use LightwaveRF technology, which we’ve had to replace too many elements of to describe as robust.

.Compatibility with some dimmable LED lightbulbs can be an issue.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook