Personal WiFi & Van CCTV

JezW replied on 05/08/2019 19:41

Posted on 05/08/2019 19:41

How often do you go away only to find very poor WiFi availability on site? I decided to create the best setup that I could for around £200.

Firstly I bought a 300meg router that simply required a sim card to be inserted and got ourselves on a £7 a month contract giving 3gb of data. Plenty for receiving emails and exploring local attractions before setting off to find them.

The router plugs directly into the 12v circuit, in our case simply through the cigarette style socket. Although the signal was pretty good I added a 4G arial that I mounted on a pole. I made the pole out of standard 40mm plastic plumbing pipe, capped off both ends and mounted the arial with the two cables running through it. The two cables simply screw to the back of the router and presto .. 5 bars pretty much all of the time, even when our mobiles have no bars at all.

Then the first surprise was to find an RJ11 socket on the back of the router where we plugged in a standard landline phone. This instantly worked brilliantly. It's obviously not a landline but simply utilises the Sim card in the router. So now our family can pretty much always reach us even when our phones have no signal at all.

On another trip we wanted to take our granddaughter to the kids disco in the clubhouse but we have a dog. We've never left the dog in the caravan but thought it should be fine for half an hour and he'd had a long walk anyway. So to test out how he would be I attached a CCTV recorder box to the router and a single camera clipped to a high cupboard.

We then went off to the club where we could have a drink and call up the camera on the mobile phone. Worked brilliantly .... but.

No sooner had we got out of the caravan that Barney (the dog) jumped straight up and sat at the dinette looking out of the window and barking at anything that moved. So we gave up on that but how useful to be able to dial into your caravan to make sure all is well. You leave your van and could even set the cameras to detect movement where you then receive an email and would then obviously dial straight in to see what's happening.

Personally, I am really chuffed with the whole setup so thought I'd share it.

JezW replied on 05/08/2019 20:28

Posted on 05/08/2019 20:28

Edit: Forgot this little gem,

I also connected an Alexa device to the router and can then dial into the house back in the midlands from wherever we are, even switch various lights on and off in the house remotely and watch it happen from the van.

This tech is very easy to setup and get into.

lornalou1 replied on 05/08/2019 21:32

Posted on 05/08/2019 21:32

Wow, I usually go away to relax and rest not to watch the house I've just come from. wink

JezW replied on 05/08/2019 21:39

Posted on 05/08/2019 21:32 by lornalou1

Wow, I usually go away to relax and rest not to watch the house I've just come from. wink

Posted on 05/08/2019 21:39

Great if you can do that, but I like to know the family can reach us by phone even when the phones have no signal, the house can reach us through automation and we can then totally relax.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/08/2019 09:26

Posted on 06/08/2019 09:26

Complete genius JW, super ideas backed by technical know how-what’s not to likeπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Ž

richardandros replied on 06/08/2019 12:31

Posted on 05/08/2019 20:28 by JezW

Edit: Forgot this little gem,

I also connected an Alexa device to the router and can then dial into the house back in the midlands from wherever we are, even switch various lights on and off in the house remotely and watch it happen from the van.

This tech is very easy to setup and get into.

Posted on 06/08/2019 12:31

Because we are away so much, I have CCTV around the house which I can remotely view on my phone or iPad - plus, using Smart plugs and an App called Smart Lite, I can switch lights on and off remotely and it also has a timer function. Just gives me that peace of mind when we are away.

I do love gadgets!smile and the Wifi setup sounds brilliant.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook