Parking for high vehicles (campervan / motorhome)

A and M W replied on 31/03/2023 11:10

Posted on 31/03/2023 11:10

We have recently bought a second hand campervan (based on a Peugeot Boxer style chassis) 

As it is 6m long and over 2m high we have been wondering how we find out about parking when out and about in the UK at various tourist sites and beauty spots. We rang one place in advance to check but thought it would be good to see if there is a website or forum where we can look up places to park with bigger vehicles.

Any ideas welcome.  Thank you!

DavidKlyne replied on 31/03/2023 12:14

Posted on 31/03/2023 12:14

I don't know whether this would be helpful https://park4night.com/en/search It is mainly for people wishing to park overnight but I assume the same places might be available during the day? If I am going to something like a NT property I usually email ahead just to check. There are various online resources like Google Earth and Street View that can give a pretty good impression of whether there is room to park, although what it won't tell you is whether you are allowed to park there!

David

Hja replied on 31/03/2023 13:09

Posted on 31/03/2023 13:09

Some councils have information on their websites about which car parks have height barriers, and where they cater for motorhomes. 
Some car parks allow you to pay for two parking places where you need to take more than one space. But this becoming more difficult to do. 
Street side car parking can be easier in some cases, especially where there are no bay markings.

It is the big down side of motorhoming in the uk.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook