Organ donation change

huskydog replied on 19/05/2020 19:14

Posted on 19/05/2020 19:14

As of the 20th May 2020 organ donation is changing as you have to register to opt out of donating, I don’t want to go in to the rights and wrongs of this ,just to make people aware of the change ,and with all the Covid news it could get overlooked 

ChemicalJasper replied on 20/05/2020 11:16

Posted on 20/05/2020 11:16

Thanks Huskydog, sounds like a good move to me, have always been opted in - I don't need any of it once I'm dead, so if I can help others that's great.

Too many people who could be helped, languish unhelped because people either wont or have not bothered to sort out their organ donor card - this at least will remove the 'have not bothered' from the non helping equation.  

ABM replied on 26/05/2020 17:50

Posted on 26/05/2020 17:50

Thank you for the reminder, HD  !! I went & renewed my OPT IN  preference, now I've just got to tell the family I won't be decorating  the gate pillars at least till I've been re-born  innocent

redface replied on 27/05/2020 21:43

Posted on 27/05/2020 21:43

It is somewhat sad that the decision has been taken out of the hands of individuals who may not be aware of this.

Whilst I have no objection to compulsory donation I nonetheless would not have volunteered.

To be honest the abuse my body has suffered over the past 70+ years, smoking, alcohol etc.,I doubt if there will be anything left that will be of use.

brue replied on 27/05/2020 21:51

Posted on 27/05/2020 21:51

It's probably better to look up the details for each part of the uk about donor law, families will still be approached. There are exemptions and you can record a decision against donor use.

Having said that this is not a negative response. A young member of our family had his life extended by over ten fulfilling years thanks to a heart donor. smile

andybe replied on 19/06/2020 15:25

Posted on 19/06/2020 15:25

I must say I have mixed views on this. By making us opt out, the state has effectively taken ownership of our bodies. That aspect I do not like.I don’t object to organ donation itself.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/06/2020 15:38

Posted on 19/06/2020 15:38

My best friend is going to need a new kidney. If this means he gets a better chance at life then it’s a positive.

We were voluntary donors before the opt out clause. The medics will decide if any bits of us can help others. I see it as merely making folks think a bit more. Both myself and my OH have at one time and another required a blood transfusion, thanks to generous folks who have donated, it was available for us.

It might be you are a loved one in need. It requires thought at least.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook