Online Pharmacies

DavidKlyne replied on 04/04/2017 17:01

Posted on 04/04/2017 17:01

I thought this might be of interest. Had a letter arrive today. Not personally addressed which usually means it goes straight into the recycling. However it did have the NHS logo on the envelop. It was from a company called Pharmacy2U. They do make a point of saying that their communication was not approved by any of the medical centres listed and no personal data has been supplied by those medical centres. 

The background to this is that many doctors surgeries are encouraging patients to accept that repeat prescriptions are ordered online, with the next stage being that they are then transmitted electronically to the Pharmacy of your choice, usually one that is most convenient for you. Whilst both Margaret and I order our medications online, Margaret has hers sent direct to a Pharmacy whilst I collect mine from the surgery.

Today's letter lists our local medical centres and offers to organise your repeat prescriptions for you and deliver them to your door. Once signed up you don't have to do anything except await your delivery. This is perfectly genuine as Pharmacy2U are recognised by the NHS. I suppose in time this will become the norm. However I just wonder how it will affect local pharmacies which already seem to be under pressure.

David

Metheven replied on 04/04/2017 17:27

Posted on 04/04/2017 17:27

Wonder how you manage with them if needing a few months supply for long holidays, probably back to talking with the surgery dispensary.

N1805 replied on 04/04/2017 17:30

Posted on 04/04/2017 17:30

We also have had this communication on more than one occasion & it went straight in the bin.   I personally prefer to give out as little information as I can to any internet company I have to deal with.   

brue replied on 04/04/2017 18:02

Posted on 04/04/2017 18:02

Our local system works quite well, I think our pharmacy will deliver if needed. Would not consider using an outside company. Our pharmacist is reasonably helpful with any questions too.

Tammygirl replied on 04/04/2017 18:41

Posted on 04/04/2017 18:41

Our Doctor's surgery is in the village, repeat prescriptions can be ordered online and sent direct to the chemist, also in the village. We use this system it works fine, as we are able to, we collect from chemist, however many of the elderly do get them delivered by the village chemist.

SteveL replied on 04/04/2017 18:43

Posted on 04/04/2017 18:43

We have also recieved similar communications. Personally I would not even consider it. At the moment I submit an online request to the surgery, who process it and then electronically forward it to the local pharmacy, from where I collect it. When we get to old to wander down for it, they will deliver. I would like to keep the pharmacy in the village with plenty of business, as it is very useful for advice and non prescription items, some lately have been cheaper than the supermarkets.

Also if I go to the doctors for something not connected to my regular prescription, I can just wander across the road with the prescription I have been given. If it is driven out of business by one of these large concerns, that will no longer be possible.

Bakers2 replied on 04/04/2017 19:06

Posted on 04/04/2017 19:06

Also received the letter previously and recycled it. We have a great independent chemist next door to the GP. I can email for repeat prescription and collect in the chemist when it suits me. They will also deliver to those who need it. Chatting to the pharmacist recently as all have all received a cut in funding not sure if it was 10 or 20 %, huge cut.  Same level for sole owned and the giants! Will hit him but the small Boots about a mile away that has little trade or pharmacy will be able to trade with Boots backing.  I'm all for independent pharmacies, it's a bit like losing stores to supermarkets. 😢. I don't want any on my records shared with any more than the absolute necessity. 

papgeno replied on 04/04/2017 20:53

Posted on 04/04/2017 20:53

Like a number of you above I also order repeat prescriptions on line and collect from the chemist next door to the surgery. What I do find amusing is that although the  web site says that I can collect the prescription after two days it always gives me a date three days away.😕

peegeenine replied on 04/04/2017 21:28

Posted on 04/04/2017 21:28

I take regular medication and the GP gives me 12x monthly prescriptions . These are electronically sent to the local pharmacy. When I need a prescription I E-mail the pharmacy direct and collect them 2-3 days later but they will deliver if needed. When going on holiday I just explain and ask for 2 prescriptions which I have always received. I am always given 2 prescriptions over the Christmas period anyway. After 12 months I have a review with the GP.

JVB66 replied on 04/04/2017 21:36

Posted on 04/04/2017 21:36

Both OH and I are on regular medication that we pick up at our local Lloyds chemist  200yds away and on each prescription is the next date of pick up with next review date also (12mths),   if we are going to be away the staff at Lloyds send email to Doctors who will give two months ,

They also as does the doctors own pharmacy, deliver to the less mobile

ABM replied on 04/04/2017 21:37

Posted on 04/04/2017 21:37

I  don't  order  my  medications  on  line,  I drop  them  in  the  relevant  box  at  the  surgery,  a  couple  of  miles  away.  They  do  state  it  will  take  48  hours  to  process  before  collection,  but  I  chose  to  have  mine  all  sent to  my  local  Chemists  electronically  altho  that  pushes  the  delay  to  a  minimum of  Four  days.  That's  ideal for  me  --  order  one  week,  collect  the  next  but  I'll  Never  Never  go  for  the  option  of  having  them  posted  to me  'cos  my  insulin  has  to  be  kept  in  a  fridge  not  in  a  Postie's  van  or  mail  pouch  !!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook