One year on from buying our static caravan

DEBSC replied on 16/09/2017 12:12

Posted on 16/09/2017 12:12

We have now owned our static van for on year. Some of you may remember my posts at the time. Well thought I would now report back. We love it! We have no regrets, it was absolutely the right thing at the right time for us. After caravanning for 30 years we had had enough of towing but didn't want to give up completely. After many month of site research and considering it, we got it absolutely right. We love our van, not new but nice, we love the site and we have lovely neighbours. The site is so quiet, even in the school hols. We had got tired of fetching the van from storage and packing up and towing. Now we just go. When we arrive, if we want, our same age as us neighbours, are usually around for a catch up and a drink, we often get invited in for a meal. Our family and their kids regularly use it as well. Any regrets...Just that we didn't do it a couple of years sooner. So if anyone is getting to the stage where they don't want to/can't tow any longer then I recommend it! Just choose your site carefully. Costs, yes it is a little more expensive than touring but not too much and worth it for us. So hope some of the people on here who gave us advice then read this now. Mousley, EasyT . It does seem that many that used to post on here then don't now, maybe that is the new website. Can't say that I like it much.

paul56 replied on 16/09/2017 20:36

Posted on 16/09/2017 20:36

Glad you're enjoying the change and that it suits you. I suspect when we stop towing it will be a case of explore using B&B's and hotel breaks. We love the Yorkshire coast around Whitby but can't imagine going there all the time. Enjoy. 

Tammygirl replied on 16/09/2017 20:47

Posted on 16/09/2017 20:47

So glad that you like it, thanks for reporting back. We have talked about what we will do in the future and have thought about a static. It would need to be about 3 to 4 hours from home so probably Northumberland or North Yorkshire. We are not ready yet to make the move but happy that for some it is the right decision. 

Merve replied on 16/09/2017 20:48

Posted on 16/09/2017 20:48

Nice to hear that DEBSC. I guess we'll all get there one day- there are times I have thought "what the hell am I doing" but then I arrive on site and it's all clear - I love it. Best for the future. 

replied on 16/09/2017 20:50

Posted on 16/09/2017 20:50

Glad you are enjoying your new lifestyle DEBSC. Whereabouts did you settle on? Is it far from home? 

Tell us more.

Alan

redface replied on 16/09/2017 21:24

Posted on 16/09/2017 21:24

Well done DEBSC.

You've probably made a better choice than most of us thinking of giving up on touring.

I wish you many years of happiness wherever you chose.

DEBSC replied on 16/09/2017 22:38

Posted on 16/09/2017 20:50 by

Glad you are enjoying your new lifestyle DEBSC. Whereabouts did you settle on? Is it far from home? 

Tell us more.

Alan

Posted on 16/09/2017 22:38

Stratford Upon Avon. North Devon is lovely, beaches, moor etc. but it's a 100 mile round trip to the nearest city and its shops etc. Now we can walk into Stratford with its theatres, restaurants and shops. We see more of our son and his family who live in Watford. We have visited the NEC quite a few times for various events. It's easy to get to Oxford for the museums and exhibitions. So now we have the best of both worlds. And of course we also have the beautiful Cotswolds on our doorstep.

HelenandTrevor replied on 17/09/2017 12:45

Posted on 17/09/2017 12:45

Really pleased you are enjoying your static van, Stratford upon Avon is a good choice, lovely area with lots to do.

We have stayed on the touring park near the river and thought then what and great place to have and static van.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook