NC500

Colsom 1 replied on 13/04/2022 10:27

Posted on 13/04/2022 10:27

I'm doing the NC500 in May/June with a 7.9m x 2.5m twin axle caravan. I'm not too worried about the roads as it has all been planned out very carefully although I am well aware some will be narrow.

I was wondering if anybody had driven the route with a caravan form John O' Groats to the Altnaharra Club Site. I have planned to take the A836 along the north coast, through Bettyhill then carry on alongside the river then pick up the  B871 then the B873  to Altnaharra. I have just checked with the warden at the site who told me that was ok. However, when I booked last year I think the warden (presumably a different one then) told me to carry on on the A836 through Tongue all the way to Altnaharra. Having "driven" both routes on google maps the latter route seems to have much better forward visibility and much better passing places which would suggest this is the obvious choice. However I would very much value anybody's previous experience.

Thanks for reading.

ABM replied on 13/04/2022 11:58

Posted on 13/04/2022 11:58

I'm a Mid-size motorhomer not a CARAVANNER but I recommend using the A836 to Tongue, then the A836 from Tongue to the Crossroads just before ALTNAHARA with a Left turn there onto the B873 to the Site . It's a lovely drive, but you still need to keep your eyes open, unlike the drive down from the coast on the B871/B873 through Strath Naver --  that could use up your supply of aspirins . Just remember that you will be 25 miles from food & fuel at Altnahara unless Tesco have decided to get that much closer to their supply of lambs meat & salmon or trout  wink

P.S. / Edit  ~~ Do not forget your levellers  !!

replied on 13/04/2022 13:56

Posted on 13/04/2022 13:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Colsom 1 replied on 13/04/2022 17:16

Posted on 13/04/2022 17:16

Many thanks ABM. I'll stock up on bread and dripping. surprised

ABM replied on 13/04/2022 21:38

Posted on 13/04/2022 13:56 by

Not sure how your size affects your choice of roads / routes ABM, unless it affects your ability to drive in some way 😕 😄.

Posted on 13/04/2022 21:38

Cheeky Buzzer !! 

Actually I was putting the fizzical bit in 'coz I don't know what the laddie tows with nor his ability, so as much info as I can raise is put into my response DDinnocent

Extugger replied on 14/04/2022 07:09

Posted on 14/04/2022 07:09

I've done both routes, towing 8.24m x 2.5m caravan and as you say, it's not the roads you have to worry about - it's all the MOTORHOMERS who invade the place, some even parked up in passing places!! (those are the ones with the "on hire from such and such a body!)

It's definitely easier Tongue - Altnaharra, but I would happily go B871 again even if it does require the occasional reversing manoeuvre! 

ps If you're travelling between J O'G and Dunnet, check out Annie's Bakery - difficult with a 'van in tow. It's worth going solo for a visit to stock up BUT check their opening times (only open Weds, Thurs, Fri & Sun from memory)

Have a great trip!

Colsom 1 replied on 14/04/2022 19:39

Posted on 14/04/2022 19:39

ABM.............This caravanner has no worries towing. Ex Class 1 driver and retired Driving Instructor. I can even reverse it in a straight line. surprisedsurprised

Got a Santa Fe that doesn't even realise there's 2 tonne behind it. coolcoollaughinglaughing

I can't wait for this trip. Anybody who says they have to go abroad for scenery has never gone north of the wall. We've cruised to Norway, Iceland, all round the Baltic and a lot of Europe. Scotland equals them all for stunning scenery. We're taking just over 3 weeks to do the tour but I'm convinced it's nowhere near enough time. The only way to resolve that would be to go again!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook