LPG/ refillable gas bottle/Calor gas fire

artyboo replied on 21/07/2019 19:41

Posted on 21/07/2019 19:41

Hi me again with another blonde question.

I cannot cope with our wood burner anymore so I am replacing with a decorative Calor gas heater (you know the sort). Anyway, does anyone have any experience in running one of these with a refillable gas cylinder?  If so which one and do the connectors fit?

Thanks

cyberyacht replied on 22/07/2019 09:04

Posted on 22/07/2019 09:04

The problem with LPG heaters is the amount of moisture they generate when used in a normal domestic environment. Connectors are likely to be less of a problem, just a case of getting the right pigtail/regulator.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/07/2019 10:26

Posted on 22/07/2019 10:26

Likely to be expensive to run I should have thought. Although in fairness a wood burner in Kent won’t be cheap unless you can source cheap wood like we can up here. Do you have access to a gas supply at all artyboo? Either via piped system or refillable bulk tank? This might be a cheaper long term option, although I have to say that our decorative gas fire ( mimics an open fire) doesn’t generate much above 3kw. You can get some nice plug in stove type fires nowadays, usually convection, but with bulbs to give illusion of a real fire. Safer as well, and at the moment, electric is cheaper than gas from a bill point of view. 

Good luck with it. For what it’s worth, we have a stove, multi fuel in this case, and can take quite large logs, as well as smokeless fuels. We are surrounded by woodlands, so we carry a couple of bags when we take pooch walking, and pick up sticks for kindling and a few larger logs. Leave these to dry out fully over Summer, then use as we need them. I have got pretty good with an axe as well, there’s something deeply satisfying about whacking a log at times. But if the rest of your day is a busy one, not what you need every day.😊

artyboo replied on 22/07/2019 11:29

Posted on 22/07/2019 11:29

Thank you guys.

I am pondering all sorts of options. I do love our woodburner however, there are too many negatives for me by running it.

electric is probably the cleaner option, especially as i have to run the hot water and central heating on calor gas anyway.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/07/2019 13:33

Posted on 22/07/2019 13:33

Arty, our central heating and hot water are fuelled by LPG as well. It comes from a bulk tank.

We have an electric fire, though, as it avoids the flue and condensation issues associated with LPG fires. It’s very simple to just flick a switch and it only needs dusting now and again.😀

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook