Cars running on LPG

replied on 18/08/2017 14:52

Posted on 18/08/2017 14:52

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 18/08/2017 16:01

Posted on 18/08/2017 16:01

If you had a duel fuel car in Holland petrol/lpg  there was an extra tax to pay,so if that was also the case in other countries ,maybe the manufacturers did not think it worth while(poor sales)

Merve replied on 19/08/2017 12:00

Posted on 19/08/2017 12:00

It's definitely a question worth asking. I remember Top Gear covering this and they were saying that motorists had the opportunity of saving a packet over petrol use. I do know that the LPG car produces loads of CO2 and this may be a reason for the Government losing interest in them. Certainly, many installers of LPG systems have gone out of business over the years due to lack of interest. However, there is always a silver lining to any cloud. The reason we have Safefill Cylinders is because they started life as LPG installers for cars. They too started to fail as customers dried up. However, they had gone to the trouble and expense of installing a gas rig so that they could refuel cars and supply gas when the installation was done. As soon as the rig was in place, idiots started asking if they would refill their Calor Cylinders!! Safefill would have nothing to do with this practice but realised there was a need in the market- the rest is history!  

replied on 19/08/2017 12:19

Posted on 19/08/2017 12:19

redface replied on 19/08/2017 22:50

Posted on 19/08/2017 22:50

If you convert your car to run on LPG do you lose oomph, can your car still tow as much weight?

I did look at converting  a few years ago but there seemed to be insufficient refuelling points in the UK.   Slightly better today I gather.

ChemicalJasper replied on 20/08/2017 09:34

Posted on 20/08/2017 09:34

Not sure I agree entirely with that promotional material DD, but generally agree! wink

LPG is typically a hydrocarbon fossil fuel as is petrol or diesel, the only difference is the size of the carbon chains in the molecules (carbon and hydrogen).

LPG have the smallest molecules, up to Diesel with the largest molecules.

In general, as the number of carbons increase, so does the energy density, so lpg has the lowest energy per litre and diesel the highest.

If you burn any hydrocarbon, you get (in simplistic terms) Carbon & Hydrogen molecule + Oxygen (burns releasing energy) giving Carbon Dioxide and Water (C+O -> CO2, H+O -> H2O)  [plus a whole bunch of other smaller reactions from other chemicals present, sulphurs to SOx, Nitrogen to NOx etc]

lpg is not a 'low carbon fuel' other than there are proportionally fewer carbons per hydrogen in the molecule, but the lower energy density means you have to burn more to get the same efficiency.

It is certainly more consistent, being only a couple of types of hydrocarbon molecule, rather than a bunch of different species.

I think the main issue has been cost, as demand increased, so did the governments ability to tax it, doubling the price and removing much of the cost benefit from shelling out £1500 for a conversion!

Pippah45 replied on 20/08/2017 12:23

Posted on 20/08/2017 12:23

I have LPG heating/cooking here in the sticks - since 1991 - the chimney sweep checks the flue regularly and sometimes there is a pinch or two of dust collected in the bottom.  Some years before that I had oil and it broke down in another home.  Nice man suggested swapping to LPG because maintenance was less because it burns so clean.  It's still the original Rayburn from back then and a few igniters have been replaced.  At 22p a litre I still think I am winning.  smile

My fear in a car would be an accident but petrol is gruesome too!  

replied on 20/08/2017 13:03

Posted on 20/08/2017 13:03

ChemicalJasper replied on 20/08/2017 14:40

Posted on 20/08/2017 13:03 by

CJ has put forward a scientific view with which I have now issue.  As for oomph in my experience over many miles in a few different cars I have never been able to tell when it was running on petrol or lpg.  I assume the system takes into account the lower energy density and compensates for it.  Certainly if I could find the right car with lpg I would not hesitate.  

Posted on 20/08/2017 14:40

Agreed - the energy density difference is not massive a and you should be able to tell little if any difference unless you are driving like a race driver!smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook