Low Emissions Zones

caravanfield replied on 04/04/2023 10:06

Posted on 04/04/2023 10:06

This is for everyone who drives a vehicle regardless of type, this a very important message various councils around the country have brought in LOW EMISSIONS ZONES or ULTRA LOW EMISSIONS ZONES if you wish to enter these you will have to pay a charge and if you unknowingly enter them and do not pay the charge you will be informed by the various councils what fine you will have to pay.

The important message  is that the mainstream media has at no time publicised what the sneaky councils have been busy doing through lockdown and what other plans they have in store for driving motorists off the road, more information on this subject can be found on the net and YouTube.

Takethedogalong replied on 04/04/2023 10:11

Posted on 04/04/2023 10:11

Sheffield now has a LEZ. It was well publicised though, doesn’t affect private vehicles, but does include MH’s.

The devil is in the detail of most LEZ’s. Pays to read carefully if you include any City driving.

SteveL replied on 04/04/2023 10:16

Posted on 04/04/2023 10:16

and if you unknowingly enter them and do not pay the charge you will be informed by the various councils what fine you will have to pay.

For the ones we have so far entered you would have to be driving with your eyes shut to miss the signage and instructions to pay online if required. So far for our Euro 6 MH it has come up no charge.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/04/2023 10:18

Posted on 04/04/2023 10:18

They are all well publicised and it’s a good move to cut pollution and bring cleaner air.👍

moulesy replied on 04/04/2023 10:45

Posted on 04/04/2023 10:45

"The important message is that the mainstream media has at no time publicised what the sneaky councils have been busy doing through lockdown ..."

When Bath and Bristol introduced this it was certainly all over the local news well in advance and there was national news coverage of Manchester's plans, later postponed, at the time. So I fail to see how you can claim that! It's very easy to check on the gov.uk website (a) if a city has such a zone and (b) if your vehicle is exempt or if you have to pay. I agree with the previous post, a good and necessary measure to improve the quality of life and health of those who live in the affected areas. A recent report said that air quality in Bath had improved by as much as 80% in some areas since the introduction of the LEZ. A perfect example of "make the polluter pay" IMHO.  👍

Metheven replied on 04/04/2023 10:56

Posted on 04/04/2023 10:56

Good news, the faster these LEZ and ULEZ zones gather pace around the country the better.

It would certainly be nigh on impossible to enter a zone unknowingly, if so then its time to retire from driving.

ChocolateTrees replied on 04/04/2023 11:11

Posted on 04/04/2023 11:11

I drove round Manchester last week North to East (M61,M60, M63). There were huge signs on the motorway long before you got to the city stating the ULEZ is in place and payment would need to be made if you left the motorway. Was super clear. The Manchester zone is not yet active, but the warning could not have been clearer. 

Hja replied on 04/04/2023 12:59

Posted on 04/04/2023 12:59

My gripe is not with the zones themselves, as others have said they are a good idea, but with the huge variations in charges and “eligibility”. I am sure eventually they will all settle into one model.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/04/2023 13:06

Posted on 04/04/2023 12:59 by Hja

My gripe is not with the zones themselves, as others have said they are a good idea, but with the huge variations in charges and “eligibility”. I am sure eventually they will all settle into one model.

Posted on 04/04/2023 13:06

I like the German Umvelt system which operates nationwide and doesn't involve any charges but just bans certain vehicles from entering certain zones. It probably wouldn't suit some local authorities here because there is no money in it for them! 

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook