LGBT+

Tinwheeler replied on 22/05/2023 22:00

Posted on 22/05/2023 22:00

No, CAMC treats everyone as an equal irrespective of gender, creed, race or any other factor. Therefore no special section for any group is needed.

Hja replied on 31/05/2023 10:58

Posted on 22/05/2023 22:00 by Tinwheeler

No, CAMC treats everyone as an equal irrespective of gender, creed, race or any other factor. Therefore no special section for any group is needed.

Posted on 31/05/2023 10:58

I think it would be better to say the Club HAS no sector groups. Whether they are NEEDED or not is a different question. Some would say that, for example, a singles group might be beneficial to give mutual support.

Tinwheeler replied on 31/05/2023 11:48

Posted on 31/05/2023 10:58 by Hja

I think it would be better to say the Club HAS no sector groups. Whether they are NEEDED or not is a different question. Some would say that, for example, a singles group might be beneficial to give mutual support.

Posted on 31/05/2023 11:48

I was saying that no ‘special’ group is needed because of the laudable equality within CAMC, hja. Anyone who feels differently is quite at liberty to petition CAMC for a change of regime.

Hja replied on 31/05/2023 13:43

Posted on 31/05/2023 13:43

Equality, in the CAMC!! I have contacted the club before about the sexist language in use. Chairman, not Chair, manning, not staffing. Recently they without any contact with me decided to give me a title, Mrs. Not a title I ever have used/use. Some of us have been using gender neutral language for many years. The Club is very much in the dark ages.  I haven’t done a count of the most recent Council, but I doubt it is equally men and women, although this has been getting better. But where are those people of colour? I appreciate that caravanning and motorhoming is predominantly a white occupation, but may be we and the Club should ask why. The Club as a major player in the tourist industry should be encouraging people from all backgrounds, and have the information to know whether its efforts are successful. Maybe it does, but it doesn’t tell us, the members. 
In some areas very successful rambling clubs for minority ethnic groups have been established to encourage a greater use of the “ great outdoors”. It is not for me as a white, straight woman to decide whether minority groups feel included, but it is for me to support such groups where requested.

Tinwheeler replied on 31/05/2023 14:11

Posted on 31/05/2023 14:11

I wonder why you feel the need to tell us you’re a white, straight, woman, hja. To me you’re a person as is everyone else. No one is stopping you supporting any groups, wherever they may exist or whoever they serve. 

If ever CAMC says, for example, that only folk of a certain gender can join the club or book sites, or only those of a certain age can use sites then you will be justified in contradicting my thoughts that all members are treated equally. There is a world of difference between the examples you give and equity in the treatment of members.

replied on 31/05/2023 14:25

Posted on 31/05/2023 14:25

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 31/05/2023 14:52

Posted on 31/05/2023 14:52

CAMC have well documented policies on equality and inclusivity and they offer lots of information about the board members in "about us" with personal statements which can be read by all. smile

Cornersteady replied on 31/05/2023 14:58

Posted on 31/05/2023 14:58

I was told than if the chair is male then they are described in the minutes as chairman, if female then it's chairwoman. Saying chairperson is just not needed.

Rufs replied on 31/05/2023 15:05

Posted on 31/05/2023 14:58 by Cornersteady

I was told than if the chair is male then they are described in the minutes as chairman, if female then it's chairwoman. Saying chairperson is just not needed.

Posted on 31/05/2023 15:05

Not sure you are right Corners, and not sure you are wrong  but as Brue as said

"CAMC have well documented policies on equality and inclusivity and they offer lots of information about the board members in "about us" with personal statements which can be read by all"

and i doubt there is a person on this forum who is competently qualified to provide concise and definitive information on this subject, so please lets have the post shut down.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook