Intruder Alarms

Pippah45 replied on 13/01/2017 16:09

Posted on 13/01/2017 16:09

I broke one of my rules the other day and let a salesman in following a cold call about intruder alarms.  I was attracted by the fact that it would be wireless operated and would alert the security firm as well as me on my mobile.  Having lost my really good neighbour before Christmas I liked the idea of some protection and peace of mind when travelling.  Does anyone have experience/recommendations of any House Alarms (this one came complete with a panic button for me to use in the house and the garden)?  I would be grateful for any feedback.   

I can't find the company online - but I notice ADP have various packages although they won't talk any prices until you have seen a salesman!  I think it would be much cheaper to cultivate the new neighbours! 

Kennine replied on 13/01/2017 16:57

Posted on 13/01/2017 16:57

Be careful Pippa, check the small print before signing.    There are companies who will install such systems for an apparently very attractive price. Where they make their money is on the monitoring contracts.  Charges per month can be very expensive.

Cheers.................K

Whittakerr replied on 13/01/2017 17:40

Posted on 13/01/2017 17:40

Yale do a wireless system that will contact up 4 different phone numbers. I've just installed one in my house. Very easy to install and program.

they market several different starter packs and a wide range of add ons including smoke detectors and (I think) cctv cameras.

a quick search on line will show you what's available from Yale.

redface replied on 13/01/2017 19:41

Posted on 13/01/2017 19:41

ADT are a UK, well known, intruder alarm company etc.

ADP are an American, computer systems - security company.

Con men are often fond of cold calling and sounding like they are from a well known outfit.

Do please be careful.

My rule of thumb is 'If I need the product then I will research it then call you'.

If I didn't call them then I kiss them goodbye.   I.E. I initiate the contact - not them.

Good luck

IanH replied on 13/01/2017 20:06

Posted on 13/01/2017 20:06

Good firms don't cold call......forget them.

replied on 13/01/2017 20:27

Posted on 13/01/2017 20:27

Any company that wont talk prices without an hour long sales pitch I ignore Pippah

Pippah45 replied on 13/01/2017 21:41

Posted on 13/01/2017 21:41

Thanks - everyone.   I can't fault these people for handling it all - very well trained staff - but I pulled my "cancellation" rights and that seems to be fine since I didn't part with any money either.  The only fault was the cold calling.  And I meant ADT - their advert states they start at 99p per day for cover but that doesn't tell you much.  Yale sound a good bet too.  Thank you

ABM replied on 13/01/2017 23:25

Posted on 13/01/2017 23:25

Aged  Sister  has  got  one  of  these  Panic  Buttons,  Pippah.

That  &  the  stair-lift  were  fitted  at  the  same  time  after  my  Niece

Stamped  her  foot  &  told  her  mother  she  was  struggling  to 

get  up  the  stairs  and  , as  such,  was  making  life  harder  for

herself,  never  mind  the  visitors  who  worry  about  her.

She  must  have  caught  her  on  a  'Low  day'  to  get  away  with 

that  one  !!  But  I  will  check  up  &  see  who  fitted  &  Monitors  it 

and  will  report  back  A S A P  !!  {  Assuming  she's  still  speaking 

to  us,  of  course  sealed  }

DavidKlyne replied on 14/01/2017 00:03

Posted on 14/01/2017 00:03

Pippah

If you are interested in having a house alarm you could consider Secure One. They maintain our house alarm and my next door neighbour had one of their alarms fitted recently. Sorry, no idea on current costs, however I can understand why they may need to visit the house to give you an accurate idea of costs. 

David

Pippah45 replied on 14/01/2017 12:28

Posted on 14/01/2017 12:28

ABM  I can relate to your poor niece!  I was in a similar position at my brother's house last year - eventually persuaded them to fit a stair lift but it was one heck of a battle.  Something I find hard to understand as it makes so much sense to avoid accidents (to me at least!)  Having failed to persuade our parents that they needed one - I am glad I  succeeded with brother!  It seems to be pride that holds some people back - but why struggle? 

Thanks David I will look into secure one - I see the need for a system to to "fit" the house - it's just hard sell pressure salesmen I would prefer to avoid!   Secure One do say they don't have "pushy sales staff" so that is looking good! 

ABM replied on 14/01/2017 15:37

Posted on 14/01/2017 15:37

It  could  be  that  I'm  a  particularly  easily  worried  Old  Goat,  but 

should  any  cold  caller  ask  me  about  alarms,  panic  buttons  etc

I'd  inform  the  police  sharpish  !!

It  could  be  totally  innocent  of  course,  but  information  of  that

nature  would  be  like  an  open  door  to  some  of  the  residents

of  this  world  !

Brian

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook