How much?

Swifty2018 replied on 12/06/2018 14:35

Posted on 12/06/2018 14:35

I am the first to admit I am not particularly mechanically minded and even as a child I was more into Lego than Meccano..

Whilst we are currently away in Spain, my wife's front disc brake on her bike has been playing up.  I have had numerous attempts to solve the problem but to no avail. So today I gave up and we took it the local bike shop for repair/adjustment.

Even with the language problem I was able to demonstrate the brake was not working.

The owner of the very posh cycle shop whisked it into the rear of the shop and returned with it some 7- 8 mins later. I gathered that whilst he had sorted the problem the disc pads were almost worn out.

Having recently read Cornerstready's  post regarding £18 labour charge for attaching a sticky label to his locker, I was wondering would he attempt to rip  us off but when he told us the price our first comment was " How much"

His raised fingers indicated the charge was 3 euros.

Now that is what I call service, as he knew full well he would never see us again. Can you honestly say you would pay the same in Britain?

replied on 12/06/2018 17:46

Posted on 12/06/2018 17:46

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Bakers2 replied on 12/06/2018 19:12

Posted on 12/06/2018 19:12

Glad you got it sorted. I have popped into cycle shops over here and had minor jobs done for free or an extremely reasonale charge. It happens here too, not limited to over there 😉

JVB66 replied on 12/06/2018 19:42

Posted on 12/06/2018 19:42

I had a Bickerton folder on which the rear wheel bearing gave out when in Weymouth , the cycle shop in the High street was the port of call, i got the sharp intake of breath,as it was old and not repairableundecided,hang on i might be able to help said the owner and promptly disapeared,and came back with a complete rear wheel,and said "this looks the same give it a try if it is no good just get rid of it, as it in my must do something with this lot pile" he would not take any money and it did fit smile  so we went back and gave a donation to the Lifeboat as he was one of the crew

Takethedogalong replied on 12/06/2018 19:49

Posted on 12/06/2018 19:49

Good price Swifty, but there are bargains over here at bike shops as well. My Cube has a wrong way thread on a pedal, bit of a nuisance, and every few miles I had pedal come off, and nut lost! Grr...... OH popped into a bike shop in Berwick while I was back at home, and was given lots of spares free of charge. Ironically, it has not happened since!  Glad repair ok though for you.

Oneputt replied on 13/06/2018 07:47

Posted on 13/06/2018 07:47

Its always struck me that privately owned businesses like bike shops are more likely to be generous than the big chains.  The same is true of some computer repair shops, very often they act like drop in centres for a good jaw and the money seems to be secondary laughing

replied on 13/06/2018 08:12

Posted on 12/06/2018 19:42 by JVB66

I had a Bickerton folder on which the rear wheel bearing gave out when in Weymouth , the cycle shop in the High street was the port of call, i got the sharp intake of breath,as it was old and not repairableundecided,hang on i might be able to help said the owner and promptly disapeared,and came back with a complete rear wheel,and said "this looks the same give it a try if it is no good just get rid of it, as it in my must do something with this lot pile" he would not take any money and it did fit smile  so we went back and gave a donation to the Lifeboat as he was one of the crew

Posted on 13/06/2018 08:12

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

jennyc replied on 15/06/2018 22:19

Posted on 15/06/2018 22:19

That’s a really odd problem, and particularly on a Cube. Pedals are normally made with one left hand and one right hand thread, so that they tighten up in service. Maybe Loctite would have helped.

jennyc replied on 15/06/2018 22:22

Posted on 12/06/2018 19:49 by Takethedogalong

Good price Swifty, but there are bargains over here at bike shops as well. My Cube has a wrong way thread on a pedal, bit of a nuisance, and every few miles I had pedal come off, and nut lost! Grr...... OH popped into a bike shop in Berwick while I was back at home, and was given lots of spares free of charge. Ironically, it has not happened since!  Glad repair ok though for you.

Posted on 15/06/2018 22:22

That’s a really odd problem, and particularly on a Cube. Pedals are normally made with one left hand and one right hand thread, so that they tighten up in service. Maybe Loctite would have helped.

Takethedogalong replied on 18/06/2018 15:29

Posted on 18/06/2018 15:29

They are indeed! And Loctite did help. It's a problem solved now, but irritating at the time. smile

Metheven replied on 25/06/2018 14:53

Posted on 25/06/2018 14:53

Good service Swifty, 6 weeks ago in France my wifes folding bike unfolded surprised and luckily it was as we left our pitch (grass) so she escaped relatively undamaged laughing

The threads stripped in the hexagonal locking socket, went to an engineering firm on an industrial site and they manufactured a new piece. They wanted absolutely nothing for their work and took some persuading to accept some beer money, we were very impressed by their helpfulness.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook