How Long?

Cartledge replied on 03/10/2024 14:04

Posted on 03/10/2024 14:04

I was a contributor way back when, when this whole Discussion thing started. 

I was trying to remember when it was and who was on it. A fair few got banned eventually for being too aggressive ( I think ‘flaming’ was the word).

Anyone remember those days long ago? Who was involved? 

It’s all a bit tame now, but then quite a lot of the few people on here justifiably got a bit upset at the occasional deliberate provocation.

“Happy Days”. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Tinwheeler replied on 03/10/2024 15:25

Posted on 03/10/2024 15:25

I remember it well but as Rowena has asked that we don't discuss members past or present, maybe you should seek her approval before people are named and things are stirred up?

Takethedogalong replied on 03/10/2024 16:37

Posted on 03/10/2024 16:37

I think it might have started early 2012🤔. I was a few months later registering, but I can recall quite a few folks. There wasn’t as much social media in those days, so it was usually a busy chat forum. It had a good few more Moderators as well, some were more there to give help on certain things, such as Overseas travel, while others were busy refereeing some of the discussions. Lots of interesting information and help shared though. You could even purchase CC CT clothing items I seem to recall, organised by a regular poster.🤔

JillwithaJay replied on 03/10/2024 18:32

Posted on 03/10/2024 16:37 by Takethedogalong

I think it might have started early 2012🤔. I was a few months later registering, but I can recall quite a few folks. There wasn’t as much social media in those days, so it was usually a busy chat forum. It had a good few more Moderators as well, some were more there to give help on certain things, such as Overseas travel, while others were busy refereeing some of the discussions. Lots of interesting information and help shared though. You could even purchase CC CT clothing items I seem to recall, organised by a regular poster.🤔

Posted on 03/10/2024 18:32

Not forgetting the pennants if you wanted to stick one in your window.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/10/2024 20:56

Posted on 03/10/2024 20:56

I think it might be coming up for 13 years early next year? I can't say how all the moderators where selected but I know ValD was because of her knowledge of touring oversees, particularly France. I think I was because of my website which the Overseas Department used to suggest to people. So obviously not chosen for any expertise in moderating forums!!! It was a steep learning curve during the first year, to say the least. But here we are, still here.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 03/10/2024 22:26

Posted on 03/10/2024 18:32 by JillwithaJay

Not forgetting the pennants if you wanted to stick one in your window.

Posted on 03/10/2024 22:26

I saw someone with a zip top I think it was, but didn’t know about the pennants Jill.

oh I was glad when the stars finally went, too much liking of posts if I recall. 

Oneputt replied on 04/10/2024 08:21

Posted on 03/10/2024 21:24 by mickysf

There are a few of us still around. Those stars, now who was the first to reach purple?

Posted on 04/10/2024 08:21

I met the first purple star and he didn’t start posting until a year into CT.  
There were some great characters among the early posters. Despite some disrupters I do look back with a modicum of affection 

Francis replied on 04/10/2024 08:35

Posted on 04/10/2024 08:35

I think I started posting on here around springtime 2012 which k think was quite early on. Only made it to 5 red stars lol. Remember some of the people on here well it was a very busy forum for a while. I do still enjoy posting on here and reading everyone’s news 

Wherenext replied on 04/10/2024 13:52

Posted on 04/10/2024 13:52

There were times the start of the forum that following a thread became hard work as one post merely followed on from another and I for one was grateful when individual threads started and the posting became more organised.

There were indeed some "characters" in the early days, some missed more than others.

The forum is excellent for information seekers as there are still enough members willing to give advice but it is slowly dying, as stalwarts leave for whatever reason.

I would like to thank all of the Moderators both past and present for their sterling work, not always appreciated by some members, but certainly by myself.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook