Grinding noise when towing

Lunabarb replied on 19/09/2020 10:29

Posted on 19/09/2020 10:29

Hi, I’m relatively new to caravanning. 

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.... 

when towing I am getting a bad grinding noise from the hitching point that goes right through the car!  Usually when slowing at junctions or slow manoeuvres. Tow bar is less than a year old and the trailer is AL-KO ATC- circa 2013. 

any advice would be very welcome. TIA. Richard. 

JVB66 replied on 19/09/2020 10:36

Posted on 19/09/2020 10:36

Sounds like the alko hitch pads are  in need of a good clean or replacing ,

Cleaniing with brake cleaner spray can help 

I take it your hook is also not contaminated as it also has to be clean and free from any paint

Lunabarb replied on 19/09/2020 11:07

Posted on 19/09/2020 11:07

Jvb66. Will give everything a good Inspection and clean, thanks for the brake cleaner tip.

tinwheeler. That’s exactly how I should have described the noise.. but it has become worse and more frequent almost unbearable on roundabouts. 

TonyBurton replied on 20/09/2020 16:28

Posted on 20/09/2020 16:28

I assume you have removed the black paint off the towball when it was new? I always wipe the towball to clean off any rust or debri before each trip. I still get a certain amount of grinding on roundabouts. It's the friction pads on the  hitch designed to reduce the chance of the van snaking.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook