Grab the moment

replied on 01/02/2018 02:06

Posted on 01/02/2018 02:06

You never know what is round the corner in life and so make the most of what you have.

11 months ago I went for a walk with Fliss and a good friend of mine - Bob. Bob is about 65. 

I don't see as much of Bob as I would like but do see him about 2 dozen times a year and we speak often on the phone when I am at home.

The walk was up over a sandstone outcrop on Wirral peninsula and to a park where we had a bite before walking back. Probably 3 mile plus. I suspect that we averaged no more than 1.5 miles an hour. We stood on the top of a sandstone outcrop looking across the Wirral and I said to Bob 'Enjoy Pal - who knows if we will be able to do the same next year'. In June or July Bob was diagnosed with Parkinson's. Bob phoned tonight having checked his phone and seeing my call that he had missed and hit the dial button. Whilst we were talking it took him more than a minute to walk the 8 feet from the handset base to his chair. He spent two nights this week sleeping in his electric powered reclining chair as he was unable to climb stairs to go to bed. He has a carer each morning to help him to get dressed. 

About 7 years ago Bob cycles from North of France to the South on a three week break sleeping mainly in a small ridge tent and following the canal system. Probably 600 miles with a day or two stops on the route. 

3 years ago Bob went to Menorca and walked The Path of Horses.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2177297/Spain-walking-holidays-Magical-Menorca-foot.html

Bob spent part of his life working on one of the Spanish Islands as a painter and decorator and I know that there was another walk that he had planned. 

So as Bob would say 'carpe diem'

DSB replied on 01/02/2018 04:47

Posted on 01/02/2018 04:47

Thanks for sharing this Alan.  It sounds like Bob has had a really active life.  The change must really be difficult for him, but it does go to show we must all make the most of our time.  As you say: carpe diem.

David 

SteveL replied on 01/02/2018 08:14

Posted on 01/02/2018 08:14

Concur 100%. We love walking and are all too aware that our capabilities are slowly declining. Fingers crossed that it remains slow, but as with Bob one never knows. A very good thought for the day ET. Seize each and every one.

cariadon replied on 01/02/2018 08:30

Posted on 01/02/2018 08:30

Agree totally, A neighbour has Parkinsons, a cruel disease, he was awful at the beginning, then he had meds than agree with him, his speech improved, and he would walk his dog, his consultant changed his meds and he was all over the place, he's had them changed back but he's had to start all over again.

We don't know when ill health comes knocking on the door so we must make the most of what we enjoy while we can.

JVB66 replied on 01/02/2018 08:49

Posted on 01/02/2018 08:49

Totally agree as we get older we need  to enjoy to live life while we can, as time does not wait,i thought i was still quite good at walking until  a walk home from Town, and am now overtaken by commuters that in the past it was easy to keep in front of surprised

triky auto replied on 01/02/2018 08:59

Posted on 01/02/2018 08:59

undecided "This 'aint no practice run,this IS the real thing"

"If you can't do it while you're here,"

"you won't do it at all" surprised.

replied on 01/02/2018 10:13

Posted on 01/02/2018 10:13

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

redface replied on 01/02/2018 22:03

Posted on 01/02/2018 22:03

Sadly the writing is on the wall, and the finger having writ, moves on.

Somewhat akin to the relative speed of time - the older you get the faster it goes.

Carpe Diem indeed, just counting my blessings that remain.

paul56 replied on 02/02/2018 10:46

Posted on 02/02/2018 10:46

I used to 'worry for England' over stupid things and 'What ifs...' Totally pointless exercise! Couldn't agree more with OP. get on with life. This is no rehearsal.

Last week I was skiing in the French Alps, tomorrow I'm catching a plane to Lanzarote. I used to worry about money. Now I think if it runs out whats the worst that can happen? Thanks for the reminder Easy T.

Metheven replied on 02/02/2018 14:46

Posted on 02/02/2018 14:46

I used to worry about money. Now I think if it runs out whats the worst that can happen?

You might have to deliver Pizzas' and live in a caravan.

But I'm doing all the things not able to do when I was working and seeing places I hadn't the time for. It's certainly the best time of my life unfortunately its towards the end of it.

milliehull replied on 02/02/2018 20:55

Posted on 02/02/2018 20:55

So sorry to hear this. Parkinsons can be very cruel. Definitely make the most of every day. So pleased to hear that your friend made the most of his active years

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook