Floods and car insurance

JohnM20 replied on 11/11/2019 09:18

Posted on 11/11/2019 09:18

Watching on TV, cars driving through flood water, including areas where it was obviously very extensive and possibly very deep in some places, made me wonder about insurance. If a driver decides to drive through the water and then gets stopped part way through, probably having to abandon the vehicle, would their insurance company pay out? 

If a car is parked up,say overnight, and the flood waters rise suddenly and engulf the vehicle I would thing the owner has a good claim but for if the owner knowingly and willingly drove into water of an unknown depth I think it would be a totally different matter.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 11/11/2019 09:56

Posted on 11/11/2019 09:56

Without actually experiencing that level of stupidity I think insurance has a negligence clause, as in if a person knowingly were negligent it allows the insurance company to refuse part of the claim. I’ve read it & heard about it but I have no empirical evidence. It does sound fair too👍🏻

replied on 11/11/2019 10:13

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:13

When driving solo from the High Onn site about 8 years ago there were a lot of floods. It is not always easy to know the flood depth if you can't see any road in the flooded sag curve in front. Before driving through one such section I carefully considered the likely depth by assessing the Post Office van that was abandoned in about the middle. 

Takethedogalong replied on 11/11/2019 10:17

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:17

There was plenty of negligence shown round here starting Friday. Astonishing just how unthinking some folks are with their vehicles. Lemmings following nose to tail, one got stuck, they are all stuck. And then the water started to get deeper.......and deeper.......and deeper. That was Meadowhell for most of Friday, folks wading out to safety, everything on total shutdown. 

Edit Someone goes for it........and fails miserably https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=meadowhall+floods+2019&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=nimv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf0omc9-HlAhXARxUIHcvzDb4Q_AUoAnoECBAQAg&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=ffRqjiHUVDZjmM

replied on 11/11/2019 10:36

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:17 by Takethedogalong

There was plenty of negligence shown round here starting Friday. Astonishing just how unthinking some folks are with their vehicles. Lemmings following nose to tail, one got stuck, they are all stuck. And then the water started to get deeper.......and deeper.......and deeper. That was Meadowhell for most of Friday, folks wading out to safety, everything on total shutdown. 

Edit Someone goes for it........and fails miserably https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=meadowhall+floods+2019&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=nimv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf0omc9-HlAhXARxUIHcvzDb4Q_AUoAnoECBAQAg&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=ffRqjiHUVDZjmM

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:36

I like the video on this link. About 10 seconds in it demonstrates the wisdom of your words

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/11/08/sheffield-floods-uk-jba-lon-orig.cnn/video/playlists/around-the-world/

Takethedogalong replied on 11/11/2019 10:45

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:45

Yes, it’s the same one in my link ET. It demonstrates the classic not looking beyond the bonnet end driver. 

What’s highly amusing, is that a lot of the drivers share a common theme.......Vorsprung Durch Technik, if you get my drift.....😂

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 11/11/2019 10:59

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:45 by Takethedogalong

Yes, it’s the same one in my link ET. It demonstrates the classic not looking beyond the bonnet end driver. 

What’s highly amusing, is that a lot of the drivers share a common theme.......Vorsprung Durch Technik, if you get my drift.....😂

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:59

Yup, the ones who believe red traffic lights/give ways/no overtaking/disabled parking et al are for mere mortals😂😂

replied on 11/11/2019 10:59

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:45 by Takethedogalong

Posted on 11/11/2019 10:59

It looked if it might have got through driven with caution

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook