Ferry booking problems

KRGhosh replied on 27/05/2024 09:09

Posted on 27/05/2024 09:09

We are having problems confirming a booking for a ferry on the website when ever we get to the payment section. On putting payment details in and confirming with my bank the page then goes blank. I am unsure if this has gone through as bank says that the company can take the money over next 5. I have had no confirmation email and it’s not visible in my booking. Obviously it’s bank holiday so can’t speak to anyone until Tuesday …. Why would a holiday company not be open over a weekend/bank holiday !  Has anyone had this problem? (Picture of response following order)

SteveL replied on 27/05/2024 09:43

Posted on 27/05/2024 09:43

Obviously it’s bank holiday so can’t speak to anyone until Tuesday …. Why would a holiday company not be open over a weekend/bank holiday !

A very good question and one of the reasons we won’t book with them, even if it ends up costing us a bit more.

As to payment, when I make any with the CAMC or anyone else and confirm the transaction in the App, the payment always shows up as a pending transaction immediately. The only time it takes longer to show is when the vendor doesn’t have a live link. Recently a purchase from a National trust property took a couple of days. Personally I wouldn’t try further and contact them tomorrow.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/05/2024 09:56

Posted on 27/05/2024 09:56

The question of lack of staff cover at weekends has been asked quite a few times in the past. The question has usually been associated with making last minute amendments to channel crossings usually changing the return day/time to the UK, which if booked through the Club can only be amended through the Club, seemingly. One can only assume its the cost involved, and possibly limited demand? Obviously any extra costs would have to be covered by those making use of the service. Perhaps a good question to be asked at the AGM where an answer would be published for all to see?

David

eurortraveller replied on 27/05/2024 10:57

Posted on 27/05/2024 10:57

Unless the ferry booking is an urgent one for travelling today  I would wait till tomorrow and sort it out then. But thank you for telling us about it. 

Rufs replied on 27/05/2024 15:53

Posted on 27/05/2024 15:53

The question of lack of staff cover at weekends has been asked quite a few times"

just back from a weekend in EG, they are all in the park catching the sun tongue-out

Mother456 replied on 03/06/2024 10:33

Posted on 03/06/2024 10:33

This happened to us booked a few sites in France + return ferry crossing through the club. When payment went through it didn’t show ferries. Rang the card company no one available as it was a weekend. No one at the club again because it was a weekend. We got a call from the club Monday morning to say we had paid for the sites and ferries but been charged twice for the ferries as I rebooked them separately, they repaid the extra we had paid and cancelled the ferry. Stressful times. Now we book day time 1/5 Monday through Friday.

ValDa replied on 03/06/2024 11:56

Posted on 03/06/2024 11:56

Like others we've run foul of the lack of weekend cover, when my mum died unexpectedly, and we had to cancel a booked crossing.  It was late on a Friday and we rang the ferry company, to be told they couldn''t talk to us because it was a 'Third Party Booking'.  It was a Friday before a Bank Holiday weekend, so we just arranged to get home ourselves, and phoned the CAMC on Tuesday to let them know.  To be fair they  offered to book another crossing for us at a later date, and in the event we did this. They reimbursed us with the difference in cost between the booked crossing, and the cost of the re-booked one.

But, lesson learned, we never booked through them again.  It proved a very stressful time which we could have done without after getting distressing news..

eurortraveller replied on 03/06/2024 13:30

Posted on 03/06/2024 13:30

There are routine ferry bookings and there are emergencies. Different scenarios. 

Routine ferrybookings and routine alterations can wait till the office re-  opens.  I see no need for the Club to pay staff at weekends for routine work that can wait. 

Emergencies are covered by travel insurance and credit cards  Act fast and independenty. . Buy a new ticket or buy a flight if far away- then reclaim the extra cost later. Been there twice. 

hitchglitch replied on 04/06/2024 18:38

Posted on 04/06/2024 18:38

We always use the tunnel, we nearly always change the return date whilst away. This year due to illness we have changed the entire trip three times. Easy online, not so easy through the Club. Learned that lesson years ago - ever tried phoning the Club whilst in Italy and hanging on as the bill mounts up?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook