Father of the Bride

dennisd replied on 06/03/2018 12:07

Posted on 06/03/2018 12:07

A very nervous time for me this week. My daughter is getting married on Friday, I've got my speech prepared but a seed of doubt has been sown in my mind. When I open my speech I welcome the guests on behalf of myself, my wife and the groom's mother and father. My question is - do I also include the bride and groom in my welcome or do I leave that for the groom?

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/03/2018 13:57

Posted on 06/03/2018 13:57

I’m no expert DD but because it’s their day, & they are what it’s all about I don’t think you can give them too many name checks & shout outs. I’d give em a mention, the more fuss the better๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜Š

DavidKlyne replied on 06/03/2018 15:54

Posted on 06/03/2018 15:54

Why not at the outset just say " On the occasion of Jane and Tom's wedding (using their real names of course!!!) I would like to welcome our guests etc etc. That would be an easy way to get them mentioned? However you do it you have to be comfortable with it. 

David

KjellNN replied on 06/03/2018 18:06

Posted on 06/03/2018 15:25 by Navigateur

Welcome the Bride and Groom first.  After all, you are paying for it so you can do what you want.

Posted on 06/03/2018 18:06

That is somewhat  "old hat" these days, many couples pay for their wedding themselves, especially if they want something more expensive than the parents can afford!

Our daughter and SIL issued their own invitations and organised everything themselves, and saved up for it.  The in laws contributed as a gift and because they wanted to have a huge number of family and friends there.

I welcomed everyone on behalf of the bride and groom

DSB replied on 06/03/2018 18:38

Posted on 06/03/2018 18:38

KjellNN said: I welcomed everyone on behalf of the bride and groom

As far as I remember that's what I did.

David

Wherenext replied on 06/03/2018 18:49

Posted on 06/03/2018 18:49

Nice of them to take the plunge on the date we celebrate our wedding anniversary.smile All I can say Dennis is that if they have as much fun as we've had and grow together as a couple then they'll not regret a single minute.

Good luck to one and all.

neveramsure replied on 06/03/2018 19:24

Posted on 06/03/2018 19:24

My eldest daughter got married 14 years ago, it was a very traditional, formal do and my first experience of speaking at weddings.

When my daughter made the booking she did not realise it was the same day as an England World Cup match. I tried to make all the speech very light hearted and started by thanking everyone for attending even though there was "another" important match on that day.laughing

Thankfully it had the desired response from the guests and bride and groom.

Coincidently my youngest daughter got married only three weeks ago. 

This time it was a much less formal affair with only twenty close relatives. 

No best man's speech just a quick speech from me to thank everyone and remarking on the fact that we had all been waiting for over twenty years for this moment.laughing Next I offered a toast to the health and happiness of the bride and groom, the groom then made a short speech also thanking everyone.

The first wedding made a large hole in my pocket but on the second one I just put £200 behind the bar at the reception.

I'm all for the modern approach.cool

Good luck DD, try and enjoy it.smile

DavidKlyne replied on 06/03/2018 20:52

Posted on 06/03/2018 20:52

I would also advise keeping the speeches relatively short. Not everyone amongst the guests will understand the "in family" jokes!!! 

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook