Electric Cars

Hedgehurst replied on 27/02/2019 21:26

Posted on 27/02/2019 21:26

We're seriously thinking of replacing my wife's 17 yr old Toyota Corolla with a 2nd hand electric car. We'd like one of the newer long range improved EV's, but we'd need a long range improved wallet first, so it's likely to be 2nd hand.

I know a number of people here use EV's, (not hybrids, but the full works), and would be mighty grateful for your experience of the different ones going about now, and comments on them, please.

In an ideal world we'd replace the diesel Volvo that pulls our little caravan, but that's not yet an option, so the less we can use it between major trips, the better.

Thanks.

replied on 28/02/2019 07:22

Posted on 28/02/2019 07:22

How many miles do you do with your second car? 

brue replied on 28/02/2019 08:31

Posted on 28/02/2019 08:31

As far as I'm aware there are two of us who post on CT with full BMW EVs. Ours has the benefit of a REX (a tiny engine which regenerates the battery when needed.) Most have other regeneration facilities too but not to the extent of the REX. We can travel any distance as long as we keep the REX topped up with a few pints of fuel. For some reason this design has ceased production, it would have given people confidence to travel long distances. But with fast charging on m ways (see ecotricity, the electric highway pages) things are fairly good, although not enough chargers yet.

For city and local driving buying a secondhand or pre-reg is good, they cost pence to run after the initial pay out.

I think I've commented a lot on the "future" of towing pages etc.

The car we own wasn't manufactured in a conventional way and it doesn't contain a combustion engine. It has a large percentage of recyclable components and the long life batteries can go on to be re-used for solar charging etc.

I'm no out to convince anyone on here but having an EV has been a good experience with a steep learning curve. smile

redface replied on 28/02/2019 15:36

Posted on 28/02/2019 15:36

With a second hand EV it all comes down to the state of the batteries and how much life they will give you. They are the most expensive thing to replace.If buying from a dealer what length of guarantee will he give you in that respect?.

Excellent vehicle for local running around, my daughter who has one had noticed a reduction in mileage per charge - but it is 5 yrs. old now

If you have a two rate electric meter then charge up overnight at the cheaper rate.

The only noise they make is tyres on the road so you have to watch out for pedestrians/cyclists who may not have heard you coming.

Hedgehurst replied on 28/02/2019 15:42

Posted on 28/02/2019 07:22 by

How many miles do you do with your second car? 

Posted on 28/02/2019 15:42

We're planning on using it mainly for local journeys.

Thanks as well Brue for your comments. We've heard that insufficient quick charge points still create a problem for long hauls, though hopefully that'll improve. We're already Ecotricity customers, so with luck will get something back through their points for our bills over the last few years :-)
So for the time being it'll be the dreaded diesel for long hauls, and local stuff would be with the EV. It's knowing how far it'll go... I understand the range is improving all the time, it's a question of where / when desirability and affordability cross over, as the prices will presumably also come down.

Brue, is that steep learning curve the issue of learning to plan journeys & charging places? Or something else I've not thought of? (Sure there's plenty I've not thought of!)
I'm guessing that like conventional engines, you get better range on a smooth journey than one with stops and starts - or is it less pronounced?

Thanks both.

brue replied on 28/02/2019 21:40

Posted on 28/02/2019 21:40

The curve is learning to run it to it's maximum capacity without getting worried and sorting out what seems like a mini flight deck on the dash board because everything is computerised, there is no handbook to ponder the possibilities. There's nothing under the bonnet except a windscreen washer and it does take awhile to adjust to the silence. You also get used to milk float jibes but maybe Ernie was the fastest after all....wink (if anyone remembers that comic song.)

MikeyA replied on 01/03/2019 08:02

Posted on 01/03/2019 08:02

Hedgehurst,   Can you justify spending thousands on another car/ insurance/ depreciation etc just to save  possibly hundreds on fuel?

Hedgehurst replied on 01/03/2019 09:09

Posted on 01/03/2019 09:09

Thanks - I dare say we can cope with the Ernie bit - we used to drive a Citroen Dyane, (900cc, two cylinders lying flat, opposed, so no engine block), and loved it, to the undisguised disgust of our neighbour who was into what he thought of as Real cars, and looked under our bonnet to ask disparagingly where the engine was. smile

I can see that learning not to worry when approaching the limit must be part of it, yes.
Maybe a small cow bell to warn pedestrians???

replied on 01/03/2019 10:32

Posted on 01/03/2019 10:32

We're planning on using it mainly for local journeys.

The reason that I asked id that for me, as a second car, it would be a non starter due to the mileage covered by our 'non holiday' car being so low at 1,500 miles per year. When we replace our 19 year old Yaris (probably when it fails an MOT or has work required or OH fancies a change after 16 years of ownership) it will be with a similar sized petrol engined vehicle. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook