Driving in the USA

Natasha2 replied on 14/10/2017 16:58

Posted on 14/10/2017 16:58

We have just returned our hire car and are waiting at Bangor airport Maine to board a flight to New York. 

Everyone seems to drive an SUV and the majority are large or very large.  We had a Dodge Journey equivalent size to the new Ford Edge, this is a big car in English terms bigger than the CRV or the Kuga but even this was dwarfed by many.

Tigerfish may think his Merc ML350 is a big vehicle but not compared to its bigger brother the 450 or the even bigger 550.  This is simply huge. All the pickups are gigantic as well 

However what is great is all the parking bays are similarly oversized and can accommodate all these big vehicles easily.....no squeezing in and out here. 

We've had a great drive through New England, seen some fabulous towns and scenery, a beautiful part of the USA.  

Only downside is its bl***y expensive, especially eating out. 

KjellNN replied on 14/10/2017 23:07

Posted on 14/10/2017 23:07

Our daughter works in UK for an American company, earlier this year she and 3 male colleagues were on a business trip to US and had a hire car.

It was of course an automatic, none of her male colleagues had ever driven an automatic ( she has an automatic)  so they asked her to drive them.

The car was a big people carrier and none of them could figure out how to work anything in the car,  plus  DD was not happy driving anything so big,  so they went back into the hire place and requested something a bit  smaller!

I thought it was a poor show on the part of the men that they needed to ask a girl to drive them!  Driving an automatic is very easy after all.

Natasha2 replied on 14/10/2017 23:54

Posted on 14/10/2017 23:54

The car handover took place on the 7th floor  of a multi storey car park. The valet just brought the car over, jumped out, left the engine running and ran off! - no explanation, nothing. It is around 10 years since we last had an automatic so took a few minutes to work out what to do but by the time OH had negotiated the 7 floors and the streets of Boston to pick up the rest of the gang he was an expert. I have driven the car as well and size really doesn't matter!

cyberyacht replied on 15/10/2017 08:09

Posted on 15/10/2017 08:09

I had a Chrysler Neon auto when I was in the USA about ten years ago. I've always had manual boxes so it was a new experience to me. Can't recall it being an issue. You do feel a bit dinky up against all those Dodge Rams though.

Natasha2 replied on 15/10/2017 22:41

Posted on 15/10/2017 08:09 by cyberyacht

I had a Chrysler Neon auto when I was in the USA about ten years ago. I've always had manual boxes so it was a new experience to me. Can't recall it being an issue. You do feel a bit dinky up against all those Dodge Rams though.

Posted on 15/10/2017 22:41

Snap so did we on our first visit to Florida in 1997.

EmilysDad replied on 15/10/2017 23:08

Posted on 15/10/2017 23:08

A Ford F350 wide bodied crew cab is 20 feet long & 8 feet wide 😲

I think you're confusing a ML with a GL

EmilysDad replied on 15/10/2017 23:12

Posted on 14/10/2017 23:07 by KjellNN

Our daughter works in UK for an American company, earlier this year she and 3 male colleagues were on a business trip to US and had a hire car.

It was of course an automatic, none of her male colleagues had ever driven an automatic ( she has an automatic)  so they asked her to drive them.

The car was a big people carrier and none of them could figure out how to work anything in the car,  plus  DD was not happy driving anything so big,  so they went back into the hire place and requested something a bit  smaller!

I thought it was a poor show on the part of the men that they needed to ask a girl to drive them!  Driving an automatic is very easy after all.

Posted on 15/10/2017 23:12

I can never understand how people can say 'I cant drive an auto' .... 😕 there's only two pedals to choose from

DavidKlyne replied on 16/10/2017 09:46

Posted on 15/10/2017 23:12 by EmilysDad

I can never understand how people can say 'I cant drive an auto' .... 😕 there's only two pedals to choose from

Posted on 16/10/2017 09:46

Me neither. My last four cars have been automatics including two tow cars. I can't really see any advantage to a manual gearbox car?

David

KjellNN replied on 16/10/2017 11:20

Posted on 15/10/2017 23:12 by EmilysDad

Posted on 16/10/2017 11:20

Quite!

I suppose driving on the other side of the road could be a little daunting, combine that with an unfamiliar car.

DD said she soon got used to it, though the gear selector was on the steering column.

We have had only automatics since the early 70s, and although she has a full licence, both her (handed down) cars have been automatics, so she  is very used to driving them, and much prefers automatics.

Natasha2 replied on 16/10/2017 12:54

Posted on 15/10/2017 23:08 by EmilysDad

A Ford F350 wide bodied crew cab is 20 feet long & 8 feet wide 😲

I think you're confusing a ML with a GL

Posted on 16/10/2017 12:54

No, we are not confusing the two but we have seen both.

All the pick ups are simply huge.

Manhattan is simply crazy. We were in Times Square on Saturday evening and there were simply thousands of people. Security is high in TS with the police standing under a little canopy, fully armed with automatic rifles, at all times, day or night

SELL replied on 16/10/2017 22:03

Posted on 16/10/2017 09:46 by DavidKlyne

Me neither. My last four cars have been automatics including two tow cars. I can't really see any advantage to a manual gearbox car?

David

Posted on 16/10/2017 22:03

Better fuel consumption and usually cheaper to buy from new, to name just two things. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook