Driverless lorries

replied on 25/08/2017 11:35

Posted on 25/08/2017 11:35

It said that the lorries will drive closely together with the front vehicle pushing air out of the way, making the other vehicles more efficient and lowering their emissions.

Ministers said that a driver will be in the cab of each of the lorries controlling the steering and ready to take over full control in the event of a problem.

So travel close together with the lead vehicle breaking the air in front. Doesn't that happen already? 

The drivers in the two following cabs ready to take control in an emergency. So they are going to be fully concentrating whilst simply steering and leaving lead driver to control speed, gear changes etc whilst sitting in a following vehicle? Depends what's on the radio I reckon!

Story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/24/fleets-driverless-lorries-will-trialled-britains-motorways-next/

SteveL replied on 25/08/2017 15:29

Posted on 25/08/2017 15:29

It does not say what speeds they will travel at but self driving lorry platoons are to be trialed on British Motorways. They will comprise of 3 HGV's traveling nose to tail, controlled by the front vehicle. The aim is increased fuel efficiency and less congestion. The president of the AA has raise concerns re the obscuring of signals from drivers in outside lanes and congestion on slip roads. Not sure what planet he comes from but lorries already travel up each other's bottoms and obstruct slip roads when they leave the motorway together. My concern is what you do with them when they leave the motorway. Initially they will each have a driver, for safety reasons, so could be split apart. However, ultimately the aim must be to have just the one.

robsail replied on 25/08/2017 15:53

Posted on 25/08/2017 15:53

I still remember the time I was overtaken by 3 lorries, one after the other whilst towing. The first caused the van to snake, second increased the snake, the third and I ended up doing 180 degrees ending up facing the way I had come from! 

Fortunately no damage was sustained, so we will have to be careful if these driverless convoys are introduced!

is I only in England and wales that this is being trialled? they will have to stop at the border if so!

Merve replied on 25/08/2017 18:12

Posted on 25/08/2017 18:12

Don't like the idea I must admit. Will the gaps allow someone to get into them in an emergency ? Steve is right- they already do drive up each other's chuff boxes!  

JVB66 replied on 25/08/2017 18:23

Posted on 25/08/2017 18:23

Maybe there will be the fourth that as now hogs the middle or outside lane for mile upon mile trying to overtake ,to give the "platoon"unimpeded passageundecided

redface replied on 25/08/2017 19:18

Posted on 25/08/2017 19:18

If you were to end up between two of these lorries and needed to slow down or brake, would the vehicle behind you still keep running at the lead lorry's pace?

If so that could prove quite messy.

neveramsure replied on 26/08/2017 09:35

Posted on 25/08/2017 19:18 by redface

If you were to end up between two of these lorries and needed to slow down or brake, would the vehicle behind you still keep running at the lead lorry's pace?

If so that could prove quite messy.

Posted on 26/08/2017 09:35

From the footage they showed on tv the lorries are too close for your vehicle to get in between them.

They say in the event of an incident that the Wi-Fi controlled trailing lorries can react quicker than a human driver could.

I just hope the Wi-Fi signal is better than mine.undecided

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/08/2017 07:24

Posted on 26/08/2017 09:35 by neveramsure

From the footage they showed on tv the lorries are too close for your vehicle to get in between them.

They say in the event of an incident that the Wi-Fi controlled trailing lorries can react quicker than a human driver could.

I just hope the Wi-Fi signal is better than mine.undecided

Posted on 27/08/2017 07:24

This country doesn't have usable wifi covering all of it, there are blind spots. Why invest in a 'truck train' why not actually invest in 'freight trains' now there's a novel ideaundecidedundecided

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook