Do we not know who we are?

JohnM20 replied on 31/05/2022 09:02

Posted on 31/05/2022 09:02

Let me start by saying that this post is not intended in any way to be political.

Seeing my neighbour putting a UK sticker on the back of his car made me wonder why we have changed from GB. For as far back as I can remember, (and I'm now 75), and before we were in / out of the EU or its predecessor,  vehicles have displayed a GB sticker when going overseas but now we have a sudden change to a UK identifier. Why?

As a country ( and I use that word in its broadest sense),  in recent centuries we have been know as Britain, Great Britain, the British Isles and the United Kingdom as well as the more specific England,  Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland with the inhabitants of those countries being referred to as English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish, not United Kingdomish. At the moment, with nationalism in the various countries being promoted by sizeable numbers of residents it seems to me that we are anything but a United Kingdom. So this brings me back to the original question, why change vehicle identifiers from GB to UK?  If we are now beholden to no-one except ourselves, why change? It seems to me that we don't know who we are.

EmilysDad replied on 31/05/2022 09:21

Posted on 31/05/2022 09:21

I think 'we' do know who we are .... it's those over the Channel that have a problem with the GB/UK thing. It's a Brexit thing.

Cornersteady replied on 31/05/2022 09:28

Posted on 31/05/2022 09:28

A Department for Transport spokesperson said: "Changing the national identifier from GB to UK symbolises our unity as a nation and is part of a wider move towards using the UK signifier across government.

"We notified the UN of our intention to make these changes in July, and have been working with the sector to implement the change.

I'm personally not bothered at all and don't see it as not knowing who we are? Great Britain is more of a geographical term for me.

I'm more upset that I can't use the old joke about the difference between L plates and GB plates. 

Takethedogalong replied on 31/05/2022 09:35

Posted on 31/05/2022 09:35

We simply go with a White Rose sticker, a black and white cross sticker, and a chequerboard red and yellow sticker😁 The Northumbrians think we might be Cornish, the Cornish think we might be Northumbrian, and we have home well covered as well😁

Whittakerr replied on 31/05/2022 10:18

Posted on 31/05/2022 10:18

GB doesn't include Northern Ireland. UK includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

replied on 31/05/2022 11:32

Posted on 31/05/2022 11:32

Content has been removed.

Graydjames replied on 31/05/2022 11:37

Posted on 31/05/2022 11:19 by DavidKlyne

Posted on 31/05/2022 11:37

Oh wow! This is dangerous ground. But very, very welcome to avoid blandness.

I could not agree more, especially with your final words, which I could have written myself.

Takethedogalong replied on 31/05/2022 12:27

Posted on 31/05/2022 10:29 by allanandjean

Hi TDA, And, if our experience is anything to go by, lots of people will confuse St Pirans with Saltire!

Posted on 31/05/2022 12:27

I don’t doubt to be honest. It’s a sad fact, but there are some very ill informed people, reading the wrong kind of information and passing it off as undoubted truths, out there at the moment. Not helped by a general political system that’s is badly in need of reform all round.

Morally bankrupt.

brue replied on 31/05/2022 12:48

Posted on 31/05/2022 11:19 by DavidKlyne

Posted on 31/05/2022 12:48

I'm quite proud that we didn't go down the route favoured by EU countries and make ourselves dependent on fuel from a predatory nation, we've gone out alone on this and we should be proud of our stance and our intentions to cut down on CO2. I doubt this has got much to do with the present government so my post is not intended to be political. UK or GB doesn't matter to me. By the way we've been putting up street flags for the Jubilee, ours include the Union Jack, the county we both came from, the present county we live in and the Canadian flag (my Dad's place of upbringing.) Oh and a flying penguin has joined them all, I don't want to get too serious and I don't take these mutterings too seriously either. wink 🐧

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook