Cruising costs

IanH replied on 29/05/2017 21:38

Posted on 29/05/2017 21:38

We keep deliberating about cruises. So many people say that they love it. Whilst we would need to deliberate over whether it's for us and would need to find a route and itinary that suited us, I do wonder about costs and other aspects of cruising.

I assume that all meals are usually included, but drinks are extra. Are drinks usually expensive?

What about tips? I've read some offers for cruises that mention the price includes maybe £100 allowance for tips - who are passengers expected to tip and how much?

I see some ships that have up to 3,000 passengers - how on earth do they all get on and off at each port of call?

I assume the big ships have several restaurants - can you chose which to use and do you have to book?

I hate 'dressing up' - certainly I couldn't wear a suit or tie on holiday - is this a thing of the past now?

Any other tips?

DavidKlyne replied on 29/05/2017 23:16

Posted on 29/05/2017 23:16

Ian

There are such a variety of cruising options available it might depend whether your taste is for the more formal or more relaxed. We have been on two cruises both with P&O and they suit us but some might think them a bit old fashioned. As much food as you are likely to want to eat is included in the price. However most boats have special restaurants that offer something different and you do pay a supplement. We found the prices of wine not much different to what you would pay in any chain restaurant in your local town. P&O still have formal nights, how many depend on the length of the cruise. A normal lounge suit is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a DJ. 

With regard tips this was one thing that changed between the two cruise we did. Originally we were given a guide to what to tip and who. However they have changed that now and they add a set amount to your onboard bill. We like this system as its simple and straight forward. However there is nothing stopping you asking reception on board to remove that amount of money leaving you free to do your own thing or not as the case might be. 

Our last cruise was on Britannia which takes over 4000 passengers. Strangely it never really feels crowded except when boarding for the first time at Southampton. Not everyone goes ashore at every port. As far as restaurants there are usually several choices. You have to make a decision which you want when you book. There are usually two sittings, 6.30 and 8.30 pm. If you have the earlier one we found it easier to get into the shows. There is something called Freedom Dining where you can turn up at any time and if they don't have space they give you a pager. There will also be  a self service restaurant which is open all day.

There are all sorts of discounts available so you rarely pay the published price and there are some last minute bargains around. Some deals give you on board spend which is useful, we almost struggle to spend ours on the last trip. If you are going from and returning to a UK port free parking is a useful extra if it's available. 

We tend to book using Bolsover Cruise Club who we have found very good.

Just an added thought P&O do a number of short cruise of between 2 and 4 days which are pretty good value if all you wanted was a taster.

David

MaggieR replied on 29/05/2017 23:26

Posted on 29/05/2017 23:26

I didn't like sea cruising. I thought it was boring for long periods at sea and the amount of food people wasted because it was "free" was obscene.

River cruising suited me better because you visited a different place every day and there were fewer people on board.

However  - give me the freedom of a motorhome or caravan any day!

cyberyacht replied on 30/05/2017 08:14

Posted on 30/05/2017 08:14

If you don't like 'dressing up' then a more casually oriented operator such as NCL, Royal Caribbean or Thomson would be a better choice. In order of formality - Cunard, P&O, Princess, although Princess is reasonably relaxed. Wine is generally priced from about $25 a bottle. Boarding, certainly at the Southampton terminals is pretty slick, even for  the 3000 passenger ones. Not sure how these new mega ones with 5000 plus are going to fare. Personally I find a 2000 passenger sized one preferable.

brue replied on 30/05/2017 14:21

Posted on 30/05/2017 14:21

We've only done one cruise, on a small ship. Our "hotel" expenses were our cabin, food and tips plus entertainment and some pre-booked trips. I would not consider going on a large ship, it was pleasant with less than 500 passengers but we still had to have two sittings for an evening meal and share a table with the same guests each night. One couple drove everyone mad, another couple we have kept in touch with ever since.

A formal suit seemed to be the norm for some evening meals, but there were "casual" evenings too. I borrowed one sparkly dress from my sister (I presume you wont have that female "what to wear" problem Ian?!)

Our cruise had a lovely finale going up the Thames, under Tower Bridge, mooring alongside HMS Belfast, being on a small ship enabled some easier ports of call. Be prepared for going in a ships tender to some ports.

I like being on a boat so enjoyed being at sea, I could have happily stayed on it for a long time! Might do another cruise at some point but OH doesn't have very good sea legs.wink

IanH replied on 30/05/2017 14:22

Posted on 30/05/2017 14:22

Thank you for all the above replies, some really useful tips and advice there.

redface replied on 30/05/2017 21:06

Posted on 30/05/2017 21:06

Read the brochure carefully so you know if 'all inclusive' means drinks unlimited as well as tips are pre-paid.

How are you getting to the ship? Driving to a UK port? Flying to USA/ Caribbean/ Mediterranean?

As David said, numbers on board may be a significant factor for you. You can always ignore the masses but if you are caught with a small circle of diners, that may or may not work for you. the shore based trips are usually well choreographed.

Princess cruises are fantastic when a crisis arises. As I can aver, during a trip to and around New Zealand when a hurricane? hit. Never have I been so impressed with 'customer service'.  The small ships doing the 'Fiords' runs are well equipped and if it goes into the arctic circle it really is odd to see the sun dip down to the horizon and then climb back up again.

Really, there is so much variety you do need to read all the brochures to get what suits.

Enjoy

DavidKlyne replied on 31/05/2017 00:56

Posted on 31/05/2017 00:56

Probably worth mentioning that you need to think whether you are going to enjoy the cruising element or the places you visit or perhaps a mixture of both. Fly cruises allow you to see more places in a shorter time whereas those departing from and returning to the UK could well spend 1/2/3 days at sea depending on the first port destination. Obviously longer at sea if you cruise to the America's and the Caribbean. 

In terms of ship size the first cruise we had there were 2000 passengers and the second 4000 passengers and having checked with Margaret we didn't feel that we noticed the difference.

Organised shore excursions can be very expensive so I would suggest choosing carefully and the popular ones might be sold out before you get onboard. On last years cruise to the Fjords we didn't do any of the excursions but just went ashore at the various ports and found our own way around. The ships usually lay on free transport to a central point or sometimes by tender. Just be careful about going off on a long lone excursion as the ship won't wait for you if you are delayed. 

Another point about dinning. You have to decide what sort of table you want. The newer ships seems to have more two person tables but unless you want to be on your own better to select a 6/8 person table in the hope that at least some of the people will be on the same wavelength!!! 

Don't forget price will also depend on what sort of cabin you have. Inside cabins are excellent value but we much prefer a cabin with a balcony.

David

cyberyacht replied on 31/05/2017 07:06

Posted on 31/05/2017 07:06

When it comes to a balcony, it is worth considering where you are going and the time of year. You won't want to be on your balcony in the Bay of Biscay/North Atlantic in the winter. An outside cabin is a good compromise.

IanH replied on 31/05/2017 20:03

Posted on 31/05/2017 20:03

I don't think we could contemplate an inside cabin - far too claustrophobic.

We stayed in a hotel where you always had the same dining table and we didn't like it. We thought it far better to chose a table each night. Imagine spending a whole holiday dining with enforced company and maybe people that you have nothing in common with!

Our preference would be a cruise that stopped somewhere most days as I would be bored stiff being at sea for days on end.

We dislike organised tours, so would prefer to be able to do our own thing.

The Fjords sounds like the sort of thing we would like - something a bit different.

My preference these days is for 'all inclusive' holidays, especially with the current state of the pound.

Many thanks or all your really useful replys.

Wherenext replied on 31/05/2017 20:51

Posted on 31/05/2017 20:51

Ian, Mrs. WN and MIL went to the ffjords a few years ago with Fred Olsen and really enjoyed it as the ship was quite small with about 900 people max but there were fewer when they went. I think they went on the Braemar. 

Meals and basic refreshments like tea and wine (good quality) etc. Included in price and they could choose a 2, 4 or 6 person table to eat at. Dress was non formal but casual smart.

They booked a few excursions that appealed but did it through Fred Olsen not Thompsons who they booked the cruise through. They said the Olsen trips were better organised. Plus with the ship being relatively small they could berth further up the ffjords than the bigger cruisers.

Anyway they enjoyed but MiL doesn't have sea legs and now happy to stick to river cruises or just ferries across lakes.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook