COVID - general discussion - Temp Locked

Cornersteady replied on 14/01/2021 11:25

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:40 by brue

I have to disagree with you again David, I'm probably one of the majority who takes no comfort at all from the spread of this disease in any country. Neither will I run our country down in it's efforts to suppress and control the disease, mistakes have been made. Politicians receive no training for their job, they are the same as us, they get voted in and out and they're not as Moulesy says "our masters" they could more likely be called our servants and in the face of a crisis like this one they will be called to task when the crisis is over.

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:25

Yes +1.

At the very least they will called to task at the ballot box?

replied on 14/01/2021 11:28

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:04 by MikeyA

JVB,-  Do you agree that quick decisive actions could have saved many thousands of lives.

Can you explain to me why, when we are in our current "Lockdown" and asking the nation to "Stay at home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives" are we still allowing Garden centres, Places of Worship and even NT gardens ( not many people walk to one) to remain open?

Edit. JVB, ---   if Boris had been in charge of the New Zealand government, do you really think his bumbling and indecision would have also resulted in them limiting their number of deaths to 25?

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:28

Not a direct answer but my view is (and was) that when we were aware of the virus emanating from China we should have closed our borders to China, and progressively other countries as they acquired the virus other than for goods and freight. 

Present English restrictions seem far more relaxed than here in Wales were travel has been reduced more and no none essential purchases in supermarkets and garden centres closed.  

replied on 14/01/2021 11:29

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:21 by Cornersteady

You have mentioned this land border thing a few times? What would you have wanted ? Close the borders?

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:29

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 14/01/2021 11:31

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:25 by Cornersteady

Yes +1.

At the very least they will called to task at the ballot box?

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:31

I have some doubt in that regard as there are many other issues.

LLM replied on 14/01/2021 11:47

Posted on 14/01/2021 10:47 by moulesy

Would a "reasoned arguement" be that quicker and more decisive action in virtually every respect of the handling of this situation would have demonstrably led to fewer infections, hospital admissions and deaths? Even today we are hearing that the new measures regarding arrivals from overseas, so proudly announced just this week, have had to be delayed. frown

But let me turn the question round, LLM - are you saying that you are perfectly happy with the way ministers from the PM down have handled it? No criticism at all? undecided

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:47

With the advantage of 20/20 hindsight I expect that I could find things that could have been done sooner and better, or not done at all.  I can also imagine that other actions or inactions may have improved things or even made them worse.  However, I'm not prepared to criticize because I, in common with the vast majority of the population, don't have access to all the information and knowledge available to the decision makers at any one time nor full knowledge of the sequence of events or of all the hurdles that have needed to be overcome to achieve anything.  

replied on 14/01/2021 11:47

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:47

Content has been removed.

Cornersteady replied on 14/01/2021 11:56

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:47 by LLM

With the advantage of 20/20 hindsight I expect that I could find things that could have been done sooner and better, or not done at all.  I can also imagine that other actions or inactions may have improved things or even made them worse.  However, I'm not prepared to criticize because I, in common with the vast majority of the population, don't have access to all the information and knowledge available to the decision makers at any one time nor full knowledge of the sequence of events or of all the hurdles that have needed to be overcome to achieve anything.  

Posted on 14/01/2021 11:56

But you still haven't answered what you personally would have done differently? Which is what you keep asking others?

JVB66 replied on 14/01/2021 12:02

Posted on 14/01/2021 12:02

I noted that the French Border guards that are employed  on Eurostarhave been turning back uk citizens who tried to go the Alps Skying and visit Paris undecided

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook