Cornish curiosity

replied on 30/04/2022 17:32

Posted on 30/04/2022 17:32

The user and all related content has been deleted

Tinwheeler replied on 01/05/2022 22:31

Posted on 01/05/2022 22:31

Sorry, I can’t really help, WTG. Local dialect often drops the letters T or D as in "didn ee me ansum" *. Maybe that has some bearing on it🤷🏻‍♂️

* Didn’t you, my 'affectionate term of your choice'.

replied on 01/05/2022 23:36

Posted on 01/05/2022 23:36

brue replied on 02/05/2022 09:50

Posted on 02/05/2022 09:50

I sometimes take a little book to Cornwall that translates the meanings of words, some words merge in strange ways. Tintagel = Din - Tagell. The word Din can mean fort or rocks or even hill and it's the same elsewhere thanks to our old languages. Just to throw a spanner in the works not far from us we have Tintinhull and Tintinhull Forts.

In Cornish Tintagel is sometimes called Trevena, Tintagel came a lot later. wink

replied on 02/05/2022 10:48

Posted on 02/05/2022 09:50 by brue

I sometimes take a little book to Cornwall that translates the meanings of words, some words merge in strange ways. Tintagel = Din - Tagell. The word Din can mean fort or rocks or even hill and it's the same elsewhere thanks to our old languages. Just to throw a spanner in the works not far from us we have Tintinhull and Tintinhull Forts.

In Cornish Tintagel is sometimes called Trevena, Tintagel came a lot later. wink

Posted on 02/05/2022 10:48

mickysf replied on 02/05/2022 20:48

Posted on 02/05/2022 20:48

Nothing to do with Cornish I know but in Lincolnshire the old Shepherds counted their flock using this language/number system. We were taught it in junior school. 

1 Yan
2 Tan
3 Tethera
4 Pethera
5 Pimp
6 Sethera
7 Lethera
8 Hovera
9 Covera
10 Dik
11 Yan-a-dik
12 Tan-a-dik
13 Tethera-dik
14 Pethera-dik 
15 Bumfit 

and so it goes on.

Wonder how the Cornish counted their sheep?

mickysf replied on 02/05/2022 21:43

Posted on 02/05/2022 20:48 by mickysf

Nothing to do with Cornish I know but in Lincolnshire the old Shepherds counted their flock using this language/number system. We were taught it in junior school. 

1 Yan
2 Tan
3 Tethera
4 Pethera
5 Pimp
6 Sethera
7 Lethera
8 Hovera
9 Covera
10 Dik
11 Yan-a-dik
12 Tan-a-dik
13 Tethera-dik
14 Pethera-dik 
15 Bumfit 

and so it goes on.

Wonder how the Cornish counted their sheep?

Posted on 02/05/2022 21:43

We school boys laughed at 10 and15 but in our defence we were young!🤪🤣

Metheven replied on 04/07/2022 16:30

Posted on 30/04/2022 17:32 by

I know that there are some people who live in Cornwall on CT and I wonder if anyone can enlighten me please?

While at Tintagel recently, I noticed on written information boards (in both English and Cornish) that, as in Welsh, T mutated to D in certain circumstances. But mutations (in Welsh) happen following particular words. In one case, the mutation - Dintagel - happened at the beginning of a sentence. Why? What is the rule governing that? Anyone know?

So far, my (very basic) Cornish Grammar book has shed no light on that, and neither has Google. Totally idle curiosity!

Posted on 04/07/2022 16:30

My granddaughter is into the Cornish language, me I don't have a clue although being Cornish myself. She replies but I'm not certain I explained clearly to her: frown

Quote "Mutations are really common in all Celtic languages, but from my understanding in Kernewek ‘T’ is regularly mutated to D. This is usually determined by the noun (in this case ‘Tintagel’)’s indefinite article (‘a’, ‘an’) etc. so it’s really determined by what comes before it. 

Some words have more than one mutation which gets confusing 🤣 

For example: ‘cat’ is ‘kath’ in Kernewek. 

But two cats is ‘gath’

Three cats is ‘hath’

Four cats is ‘kath’ again 🤣

Also for interest. It’s a mutation of the English ‘Tintagel’. The Kernewek for Tintagel is ‘Tre war Venydh’ which means ‘village on a mountain’"

She followed up with:

Quote " I thought it was a mutation because in the Cornish language, T is regularly mutated to D, but that's usually caused by an indefinite article. But I believe the Cornish 'Tintagel' is 'Dintagel' deriving from 'din' (fort) and 'tagel' (neck, throat, narrow)"

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook