Cold Call Blocker

brue replied on 16/01/2017 09:47

Posted on 16/01/2017 09:47

I was pleased to hear on BBC Radio 4 this morning that BT have finally launched their latest cold call diverter and blocker. This can be done on line or via the phone and if you get a cold call you can dial 1572 to prevent further calls from an individual caller. I presume further details are available but it's good news for many.

Kennine replied on 16/01/2017 09:57

Posted on 16/01/2017 09:57

Does this work with our existing phones or do you have to buy one of BT's latest Call Blocker phones Brue. 

K

Pippah45 replied on 16/01/2017 11:38

Posted on 16/01/2017 11:38

It sounds like a great idea although it's not that often I get a repeat cold call!yell I also tend to make a note of the number and ignore future calls as I wouldn't be without caller display.  I had one this morning and mistook it for my sister's number - they were trying to tell me I could get a new central heating system courtesy of the government because I am not on gas mains.  However it seems I need to be in receipt of some kind of income supplement to qualify.  undecided

dmiller555 replied on 16/01/2017 11:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 11:56

Because of the cold caller problem we brought a telephone that interrogates callers and demands that they answer searching questions before we are made aware of their existence. The pleasing result is that we no longer receive many telephone calls. 

moulesy replied on 16/01/2017 12:14

Posted on 16/01/2017 12:14

Useful information. Thanks brue. Did it say if it works with "withheld" numbers? Just tried to Google it but couldn't find anything.

IanH replied on 16/01/2017 20:21

Posted on 16/01/2017 20:21

Call Guardian (BT) requires that any caller from a number not on a user defined list has to state their name. The recipient can then decide whether to accept or reject the call. Rejected calls are added to a 'blocked' list.

SteveL replied on 19/01/2017 18:23

Posted on 16/01/2017 20:21 by IanH

Call Guardian (BT) requires that any caller from a number not on a user defined list has to state their name. The recipient can then decide whether to accept or reject the call. Rejected calls are added to a 'blocked' list.

Posted on 19/01/2017 18:23

Our phone was playing up so we bought a new one in the sales, or rather two for £50. One main with answer phone and a second for using upstairs. You can set it to do what you have said Ian, or what we find more useful, divert any unrecognised calls direct to answerphone. If you are in and someone you want to talk to leaves a message you can pick up, or ring them back. Then of course add them to permitted calls for next time. If it's a cold call they just seem to ring off. So far it has worked very well. Those on the permitted list have been let through and others shunted to answerphone. The only glitch was when Lowdham phoned to say our van was ready to collect, they were sent to answerphone, despite being on the permitted list. The only thing I can think, is that as they are ringing from a switchboard it is not sending their ID properly.

So generally very pleased and would recommend it. The model is a BT8610 Advanced Call Blocker.

brue replied on 19/01/2017 20:31

Posted on 19/01/2017 20:31

It looks as as though BT are now getting in advance of nuisance calls and their new system will start to eradicate the problem by directing the calls away from users.

In the meantime this is also good information and advice about nuisance calls see here.

volvoman9 replied on 20/01/2017 11:54

Posted on 20/01/2017 11:54

I spoke to BT yesterday about this situation and they put me through to their new call blocker service which is free to customers and takes 24 hours to get up and running.Basically its a number you type in when you get a nuisance call and it blocks any call from that number thereafter.Registration is free,quick and automated over your phone.

v9.

woodlanewanderers replied on 21/01/2017 08:56

Posted on 21/01/2017 08:56

I'm with TalkTalk and to block last caller I dial 14258** after the call.

I also have Call Preference which should stop cold callers but a few do seem to get through.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook