Charitable donations at the door

SteveL replied on 22/08/2016 11:08

Posted on 22/08/2016 11:08

Just had a chap trying to get us to sign up to a weekly draw in support of the air ambulance. All very official so no problems there. I would have quite liked to give my support. However, the method was by direct debit signed up on his pad. No alternatives of signing up online, or by post. Just the pad. It is often the same at supermarkets. I have been reaching for my change, only to be told, we don't take money just direct debit donations. I just wondered what others felt. There is no way I am giving my bank details to someone at the door, I have never seen before, no matter how authentic he looks. I would be quiet happy to sign up on line where I have the time to check the security of the site and any links. Surely they must be loosing out by this single handed approach.

moulesy replied on 22/08/2016 11:24

Posted on 22/08/2016 11:24

We also had a young chap come to the door yesterday asking us to sign up for Great Ormond Street, again via direct debit. We often get approached in town as well. 

We choose for ourselves which charities to support and would never give information like this direct to canvassers. It's bad enough getting phone calls and appeals from the charities we already support. I know it's competitive out there but I often wonder if these hard headed methods of fund raising are actually counter productive? 

JillwithaJay replied on 22/08/2016 11:27

Posted on 22/08/2016 11:27

I don't like this method of donating either and wouldn't dream of signing up at the door.  There's a hard sell attitude with many charities these days with some emphasis on making you feel guilty if you decline.

photo 78301b06-7bdd-45fe-8ae2-d4d2cae14135_zpssi5htrez.jpg

Spriddler replied on 22/08/2016 11:43

Posted on 22/08/2016 11:43

.......and once they have your contact details you'll be inescapably pestered by phone, emails and by post.

replied on 22/08/2016 11:48

Posted on 22/08/2016 11:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Rubytuesday replied on 22/08/2016 12:13

Posted on 22/08/2016 12:13

Some time ago we had the same with the British Red Cross , I mentioned to the young lady I thought you were no longer allowed to do this sought of collecting at the door (I to thought it was now not allowed ) Yes she said but the local authority (council ) have given them permission , I declined 

next morning rang the local council to find out who had given them permission , went through so many different depts but nobody new anything about it , so emailed the Red Cross , just a short apology email back  

IanH replied on 22/08/2016 12:25

Posted on 22/08/2016 12:25

Unfortunately, a lot of charities employ companies to fund-raise on their behalf, for a payment - often based on results. So some degree of 'hard sell' starts to appear.

I wouldn't sign up to this.

I have fund-raised for our local air-ambulance, but it was for loose change and there was no hard sell at all.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/08/2016 14:32

Posted on 22/08/2016 14:32

I wouldn't give at the door beyond sponsoring a neighbours child for some fund rasining event. I do make several donations each year but they are nearly always done through Just Giving as that way I get to get e-mails/letters/phonecalls etc. Sometime I contribute by check to an undertaker when a former colleague has died but the undertaker will send off one cheque from them.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 22/08/2016 14:38

Posted on 22/08/2016 14:38

You can try a sticker on the door saying no cold callers or charities. They are available on eBay. We have one and sometimes it works but it's surprising how many pretend not to see it.

marg63 replied on 22/08/2016 15:07

Posted on 22/08/2016 15:07

In this day and age you do not give any information at all to any callers to your door ,just say no thank you go away ,this may sound harsh ,but it is not ,even if they show you any credentials tell them to go away ,find out from your council, for registered charities and inform them you have had cold callers they are probably bogus

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook