Campervan

woodwil replied on 12/06/2024 13:59

Posted on 12/06/2024 13:59

My son wonders if he can become club member, even though his van will not be in line with dvla rules for said van. He does not want the outside transfers or a fixed cooker. Though his bed is fixed as his sink fresh water and waste. 

Tinwheeler replied on 12/06/2024 14:28

Posted on 12/06/2024 14:28

Your son would do well to contact CAMC direct and ask the question. They do have rules about which vans can be used on site.

Hja replied on 12/06/2024 15:44

Posted on 12/06/2024 15:44

Can’t see why the club would have a problem. See van conversions on CLs 

Tinwheeler replied on 12/06/2024 16:01

Posted on 12/06/2024 15:44 by Hja

Can’t see why the club would have a problem. See van conversions on CLs 

Posted on 12/06/2024 16:01

CAMC have certain rules about what furniture/equipment is permanently fitted.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/06/2024 14:51

Posted on 13/06/2024 14:51

We came across an interesting first last week at Burrs Country Park. The Club Site I believe is a “no tent” site, but there was a very nice roof mounted Tent box, with awning, on one pitch. Had a hook up I think as well. Pitched close to loos/showers, owners young and lithe enough to cope with the ladder🤣 very nice touring option.

I hadn’t seen the link you posted WN, but it’s good to see that the Club has become a good bit more open minded around touring outfits. Safety is of course in the interests of everyone. I think our Neice’s tiny conversion might be allowed now, it wouldn’t have been a few years ago.

eurortraveller replied on 13/06/2024 15:03

Posted on 13/06/2024 15:03

Does a Club warden really come inside a van to check whether the cooker is “rigidly attached to the internal structure” as per the rules?
Most youngsters with a VW would simply go off to festival where the regulations are less picky. Or take their surfboards to the beach. 
Would youngsters really enjoy a Club site?

Hja replied on 13/06/2024 15:14

Posted on 13/06/2024 15:14

Actually the fixed cooker is part of the Motorhome definition. The club rules go on to modify that with references to self builds. Seems need to be a roadworthy vehicle, clearly intended for leisure holiday. Op says the one in question has water and beds but not a fixed cooker. There are plenty of perfectly good self builds with out fixed cooker, so that cooker can be used inside or out. Also if roof tents are allowed then would have thought the one referred in OP has more facilities.

Randomcamper replied on 21/06/2024 17:59

Posted on 21/06/2024 17:59

From what I've seen on club sites recently  the days of the club being particularly bothered what type of vehicle you turn up in are long gone.   

I guess that providing they respect the rules and other people, that is all that matters.

I suspect that philosophy is behind them now being called "camp sites"..... 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook