Awnings

Downandout replied on 26/05/2021 12:14

Posted on 26/05/2021 12:14

WARNING 

I have a Dorema Air awning. And oh boy had it been an expensive nightmare. It had 4 legs and 6 cross members. Over 4 years I have had to replace the Iinner tubes at least 12 times. I think the last tubes cost me about £50 plus each.

That in itself is an expensive nightmare but fancy being on site when they burst and you don’t have access to a new tube. You spend the rest of the holiday with a partially deflated awning that looks a disgrace. I’ve tried carrying spares which helps but now I carry white plumbing pipes and tape 2 together to form an arch.  I should not have to do this

. In fairness the staff at Dorema Castleford have always been good with me and not always charged me but the problem remains. Think long and hard before use buy any air awning.

just to clarify I’ve had the awning 4 years but only been caravaning 150 days in that period of time. So not excessively used. And I’ve not over inflated them. I even let air out if I think it’s going to be a sunny day.

im going to buy another awning for my elf did rambler 19/4 and would welcome any advise.

dave

replied on 26/05/2021 13:27

Posted on 26/05/2021 13:27

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 26/05/2021 15:25

Posted on 26/05/2021 15:25

I think may you have been unlucky with your choice of brand but I don't think it may apply to all air awnings? People have posted about air failures before but not to the extent that you appear to be having.

We have a porch air awning by Suncamp and a much larger one by Kampa and had both for a good few years. So far (touch wood) no leaks or burst inner tubes. We love them and certainly wouldn't go back to a pole awning.

I would suggest you speak to people on site with different makes and air/non air and get their views. People on site are usually happy to help and give advice.  

Downandout replied on 26/05/2021 15:52

Posted on 26/05/2021 13:27 by

We have used a number of conventional awnings all been ok  and can only think one gets what one pays for. However now we have a permanently attached Thule Omnistor of the type usually fitted to motorhomes. The canopy (Thule call this the awning) can be wound out in moments to provide a sun or rain shade and can with the addition of what Thule call a "tent or "room" be converted into a robust awning. We enjoy the flexibility of being able to use it in a modular way, just the roof, one or both ends as windbreaks or with the front  create an enclosed awning.

Not cheap but good quality and can be transferred to another van if you change.Ours is 9 years old now.

Just ends

https://sites.google.com/site/caravaneurope/home/help-and-information/omnistor-awning/omnistor-practice/omnistor_opt.jpg?attredirects=0
Fully erected for a longer stay

Posted on 26/05/2021 15:52

I appreciate your reply. Many thanks. And I agree you only get what you pay for. I thought I’d bought something at the top end of the range. If I recall it was about £900 retail for a 3/4 awning. It’s fairly heavy duty material. 2 tubes burst within 4 days of this vacation and the weather has not been very hot in Angelsey. I’d like another air awning but I don’t have the confidence to buy one.

Downandout replied on 26/05/2021 15:55

Posted on 26/05/2021 13:27 by

We have used a number of conventional awnings all been ok  and can only think one gets what one pays for. However now we have a permanently attached Thule Omnistor of the type usually fitted to motorhomes. The canopy (Thule call this the awning) can be wound out in moments to provide a sun or rain shade and can with the addition of what Thule call a "tent or "room" be converted into a robust awning. We enjoy the flexibility of being able to use it in a modular way, just the roof, one or both ends as windbreaks or with the front  create an enclosed awning.

Not cheap but good quality and can be transferred to another van if you change.Ours is 9 years old now.

Just ends

https://sites.google.com/site/caravaneurope/home/help-and-information/omnistor-awning/omnistor-practice/omnistor_opt.jpg?attredirects=0
Fully erected for a longer stay

Posted on 26/05/2021 15:55

Many thanks

eribaMotters replied on 26/05/2021 16:34

Posted on 26/05/2021 16:34

I cannot understand why Dorema have not replaced the awning. It is obviously not fit for purpose. As such any warranty period is over-ridden and goods should be repaired or replaced without cost.

Colin

BrianJosie replied on 26/05/2021 16:59

Posted on 26/05/2021 16:59

We have a Kampa Air 260 and its been a great little awning ,no problems and hope it continues that way :-)

Brian & Jo

eribaMotters replied on 26/05/2021 17:18

Posted on 26/05/2021 17:18

The Kampa is an interesting one. We had a Pop Air Pro for our Eriba, one of the first that came out in 2017. It was an unmitigated disaster in that it was not designed to fit and pulled out of the awning rail. One dealer had sold 10 and needed to buy back in 8 of them. Several dealers have since dropped Kampa Eriba awnings as the experience was so bad. Lowdhams of Nottingham gave us a full return on ours after Kampa had attempted a fix that did not work. Skip forward to version two and Lowdhams provided one of these at an excellent price. Good on them. Version 2 is now a good awning.

Colin

63ellsbells replied on 26/05/2021 18:23

Posted on 26/05/2021 18:23

We’ve had a few different awnings over the years for our Eriba Troll and we did look at the first Kampa Pop Air Pro but quickly dismissed it based on design, features and reviews.

Bought a Clairval Twin Air last year and it’s all that an air awning should be, and fits the Eriba perfectly. Not cheap at around £1200 or so but can be anything from fully open to fully enclosed and anything in between. Tubes seem robust and so far, wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.

richardandros replied on 27/05/2021 07:31

Posted on 27/05/2021 07:31

We have both Kampa and Sunncamp air awnings - indeed I've had a Kampa air awning for years and never had a problem with burst tubes. I always inflate them with an electric pump set at 2 or 3 psi below the recommended pressure. We did have a slight problem with a leaking valve on our very first Kampa and Kampa sent out a new, replacement awning by overnight courier to our campsite. Excellent service!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook