At the scene of an accident

geoffeales replied on 27/02/2017 13:09

Posted on 27/02/2017 13:09

I just witnessed a minor shunt outside my vicarage. The first thing both drivers did was to get out their mobile phones and photograph the position of the cars and the damage done. I wise move to prevent third parties from giving false accounts or try to claim for damage already there. But how sad that we live in an age where such measures are felt necessary.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/02/2017 13:29

Posted on 27/02/2017 13:29

Haven't people always lied, Geoff?

Nearly 60 years ago I was a witness to a minor car shunt and the perpetrator lied in court and got away with it. 

It's nothing new but the advent of phone cameras and dashcams gives us a safeguard.

cyberyacht replied on 27/02/2017 13:56

Posted on 27/02/2017 13:56

I have to photo my hire car to prevent them accusing me of previous damage, so it's not just individuals.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 27/02/2017 14:37

Posted on 27/02/2017 14:37

GE, it's the Human condition I'm afraid. Ever since time began. Thankfully 'we live in an age' where technology helps to catch/stop the bad folksmile

IanH replied on 27/02/2017 19:41

Posted on 27/02/2017 19:41

I agree, it's always been the case.

In my first car, 40 odd years ago, an elderly gent swung out of his lane on a roundabout and clipped my rear wing. We both pulled over and he immediately started ranting that I'd driven into him.

He looked at the front of my car and remarked that it had no damage. I pointed out that the reason for that was because he had hit the rear of my car. Big mistake.

His story suddenly changed to suit the circumstances. He then said that I had changed lane and caused him to hit me.  It ended up in a 'knock for knock' arrangement and we both lost our no-claims bonus.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/02/2017 19:44

Posted on 27/02/2017 19:44

Chris Grayling is the one to blame. Car, cyclist, Minister for Transport, drives off. A fine upstanding example of a road user.

DSB replied on 27/02/2017 21:57

Posted on 27/02/2017 21:57

There are an increasing number of people installing dash cams these days.  Wasn't/ Isn't there some sort of scam where the car in front reverses on purpose to cause an accident and claims that the person behind went into the back of them, in order to make an insurance claim?

David 

Bakers2 replied on 27/02/2017 22:04

Posted on 27/02/2017 21:57 by DSB

There are an increasing number of people installing dash cams these days.  Wasn't/ Isn't there some sort of scam where the car in front reverses on purpose to cause an accident and claims that the person behind went into the back of them, in order to make an insurance claim?

David 

Posted on 27/02/2017 22:04

Certainly was. Probably still happens. Sad old world at times.

Saw something lovely on fb where someone posted with a photo of three lads who abandoned their bags and McDonald's to run outside and help a person badly hurt having been blown over during storm Doris, staying with the person and assisting the ambulance folk in the wind. She hadn't asked for their names but they posed for a photo so she made it public to try and tell the parents they should be very proud. Nice to see positive role models and hope for future citizens.

Stewartwebr replied on 02/03/2017 12:58

Posted on 02/03/2017 12:58

Geoff,

Unfortunately it's the world we live in. When I was younger and 3 stones lighter and in the role of Medic1 I would attend major casualty scenes. Initially people at the scene would offer help and support and the crowd would grow with the usual spectators, but in general the theme was that of assistance and help.

Fellow Doctors now report in the same situation people are not interested in offering help and all everyone wants to do is film both the scene and casualty on there mobile phones to the extent it can hamper lifesaving procedures. 

paul56 replied on 03/03/2017 20:47

Posted on 03/03/2017 20:47

We regularly use the Meet and Greet parking at Manchester airport. You drive into an illuminated 'garage' where you are met with a barrier and a screen that reads "Your car is being photographed for damage, please wait...." It appears its endemic these days.... Mind you, I did used to photograph my mileage display!

byron replied on 04/03/2017 15:06

Posted on 03/03/2017 20:47 by paul56

We regularly use the Meet and Greet parking at Manchester airport. You drive into an illuminated 'garage' where you are met with a barrier and a screen that reads "Your car is being photographed for damage, please wait...." It appears its endemic these days.... Mind you, I did used to photograph my mileage display!

Posted on 04/03/2017 15:06

Surely that is as much for your benefit as the parking company

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook