Ashbourne in Derbyshire and Parking

TonyValerie replied on 13/06/2017 14:26

Posted on 13/06/2017 14:26

We visited the Town on our way from Chatsworth club site.

car park for cars had no spaces to accomodate the Hymer,

so as we did at Bakewell (same county council)we drove to the Coach park

this was empty so we purchased a ticket and went for lunch and a look around the town.

Upon return to the Motorhome  in the Still otherwise empty car park we were greeted with a Penalty charge notice.

our contrvention

:using a space not designated for this type of vehicle.

a tad miffed

I did call the Council to make representations

and was advised to submit an informal appeal.

once Home I did this, a fortnight later I recieved rejection of appeal

I again called the council and made representations.

we were called back to advise ticket cancelled.

3 weeks later I recieve a notice the Penalty is now £70 having not paid the fine at the £35 level.

calls to council were 50-50

one unhelpful person denying we were ever called (luckily I have the Call logs on the Mobile)

finally spoke to someone whom agreed this should have been cancelled and today I finally recieved notice of cancellation..

Moral

always check if/where and when you can use certain car parks.

Ashbourne -no motorhome parking anywhere

bakewell a couple of spaces in coach park near cattle market only

Helston Cornwall use 2 spaces buy 2 tickets.

this was the differences we encountered on our trip using council car parks.

Bakers2 replied on 13/06/2017 18:05

Posted on 13/06/2017 18:05

This would be something that the club could make representations on behalf of members with all local authority and car parking companies and ensure that appropriate signs were displayed in the car parks with clear directions. Wouldn't that be useful? Pioneering, exploring you can fit the marketing buzz words in too. And they've changed the name to include motorhome 😉

Won't hold my breath.

Isn't it better that we park in a carpark rather than cause problems parking on the road? The latter, unless there are parking restrictions doesn't attract a penalty notice but might cause chaos 😂

Takethedogalong replied on 13/06/2017 18:35

Posted on 13/06/2017 18:35

Sorry to hear of your experiences TV. Ours on the other hand couldn't have been more different. We parked in the tiny square in the centre of Ashbourne, having asked about the best thing to do and confirming with a duty traffic warden.

Bakewell, we used the car park just before the bridge, always has a parking attendant on, and he couldn't have been more helpful. Actually watched us in, and kept an eye on our bikes as well. 

Hope you get the fines sorted, not good when away. We always check for local parking restrictions. This time of year lots of coaches about, so we don't take coach parking spots as a given.

TonyValerie replied on 13/06/2017 21:04

Posted on 13/06/2017 21:04

Thanks all

The Fine was cancelled eventually.

This was our first trip of more than a night or two

1200Miles total

somerset to lake district/yorkshire/derbyshire/cotwolds/cornwall/somerset

Tourist towns with inadequate parking are surely on a loser,

the car park/overflow carpark could have accomodated a Motorhome

the Coach park is really suitable and was at the time unused.

A lesson Learned

I will always check restrictions before wandering off thinking all is ok.

Helston just allows you to pay for spaces taken up this I feel is really Ideal

if larger vehicle parking is Limited.

thankfully DDC upheld my request for cancellation

eventually and nearly 9 weeks from the initial Date the matter

has been finalised.

I did say on many occasions if I was incorrect and they deemed so I would pay the Fine and chalk it to experience.

But I did feel it was unjust in this instance.

with the Double standard seemingly of Bakewell and Ashbourne.

luckily this did not spoil a superb trip

cyberyacht replied on 14/06/2017 08:17

Posted on 14/06/2017 08:17

I was researching P&R for Stratford upon Avon and note that it has a 'No Motorhome' policy. Some of these local councils need to give some serious thought to accommodating what are becoming an increasing  sector of the tourist market.

Bakers2 replied on 14/06/2017 08:26

Posted on 14/06/2017 08:26

Definitely an issue to be championed by the new branded club. How can we be adventurous and pioneering if we're not allowed to park our motorhome? 

The local authorities aren't helping tourism in the slightest or local economies. Park and Ride seem the obvious way to ease congestion and parking issues.

Wherenext replied on 14/06/2017 21:09

Posted on 14/06/2017 08:17 by cyberyacht

I was researching P&R for Stratford upon Avon and note that it has a 'No Motorhome' policy. Some of these local councils need to give some serious thought to accommodating what are becoming an increasing  sector of the tourist market.

Posted on 14/06/2017 21:09

Interesting point, CY. 

We had occasion to go into Chester yesterday for a dental appointment and used the P & R at Wrexham Road. They have a separate area for motorhomes as their car park has a lower barrier. I noticed there were 2 M/Hs parked up there. Not sure about the other P & R's in Chester.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/06/2017 21:37

Posted on 14/06/2017 21:37

Glad the council saw sense TV!

CY, your post is interesting. We did some research last year, and found that we could park overnight in centre of Stratford, for just £2. It suited us fine, as we were heading to South Wales and just wanted a sleeping spot. Turned out to be a gem, quiet, well lit and blow me if it didn't have a cracking dog walk alongside as well. We could have paid a small fee and had a shower in the Leisure Centre as well, but we decided to get up early and head off for breakfast in Evesham. Might just be P&R that is restricted, but as we intend heading back down to Wales we were going to use this overnight spot again. Will check still ok, given your information.

Fisherman replied on 16/06/2017 19:58

Posted on 16/06/2017 19:58

Plenty of free M/H parking in Ashbourne. Go to the M& S / retail park on the Stafford side of town. Plenty of parking plus a free bus in and out of town.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook