A sense of perspective

cyberyacht replied on 22/01/2018 09:53

Posted on 22/01/2018 09:53

There are numerous whinges on this Forum about dogs, speeding, kids, arrival, departure, loo block closure etc. I share a quote from a book my wife is reading of a traffic warden's thoughts about a tirade about a ticket.

"Get down on your knees! Be grateful! A billion people living on a dollar a day, as many who can't find clean drinking water, you live in a country where there is a promise to feed, clothe, shelter and doctor you, from the moment of your birth to the moment of your death, for free, where the state won't come and beat or imprison you or conscript you, were life expectancy's one of the longest in the world, where the government does not lie to you about Aids, and the only bad thing is the climate, and you find it in yourself to complain about parking? Woe, woe! Down on your knees in gratitude that you can even notice this minor irritation! Praise God for the fact that you resent getting this ticket, instead of rending your clothes with grief because you lost another child to dysentery or malaria! Sing hosannas when you fill out the little green form in the envelope stuck to your windscreen! For you, you of the deservedly punished five minute overstay, you of the mis-interpreted resident's bay area, you of the ignored Loading Only sign, are of all people who lived the most fortunate."

Wherenext replied on 22/01/2018 19:01

Posted on 22/01/2018 19:01

I came across a quote the other day (in the i newspaper) from a certain Mr.Gandhi which basically said that there are millions of people who think that God appears to them every day in a slice of bread, such is their poverty.

I don't think we thank our lucky stars as often as we should, not just for living where we do and having relative prosperity of health, clean water and easily obtainable food, but also about the privations that our forefathers had to endure. Anyone want to experience the plague or famine or polio etc.?

jennyc replied on 24/01/2018 22:47

Posted on 24/01/2018 22:47

What a delight to see so many appreciative posts. As CY says, there is an endless stream of people complaining on this forum, without taking the time to consider reality. Thank you for such a positive post CY.

brue replied on 25/01/2018 12:49

Posted on 25/01/2018 07:53 by Oneputt

From a book by John Lanchester, "Capital"

Posted on 25/01/2018 12:49

Thanks for putting the quote in context as I thought it was a religious text. Don't know the author but when looking up reviews it reminded me a bit of Dickens and his London observations, I think he got there first. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook