5 years today

Milothedog replied on 11/08/2017 08:57

Posted on 11/08/2017 08:57

Just thought I would share today with you all, It was five years to the day that I woke up to the first day of my early retirement. I was in a very fortunate position and an industry with decent pensions to be able to leave the rat race at 53. I don't know where the past 5 years has gone but I wouldn't change a thing. 

Was I lucky, possibly, but I did work extremely hard to get to where I was. Anyway I don't have the time now to work full time smile

A quote from my Director at my retirement party  " Now you'll be able to do what you want when you want, but more importantly if you want"

Happy Caravaning folks  

Ian.

SteveL replied on 11/08/2017 09:26

Posted on 11/08/2017 09:26

6 years and 2 months for me, although I was 58. I only finished so early because I could not face the increased traveling, best move I ever made. As with yourself I don't know where the time has gone. Or how I ever found time to work and do all the other things.😂

tigerfish replied on 11/08/2017 12:11

Posted on 11/08/2017 12:11

I "Retired" from my main employment in 1999 and have been on a pension since then. But after 6 months I took up a self employed consultancy  post with a company, that actually lasted 12 years until 2011.  But in 2001 I also became a local Councillor and that proved to be very busy too.  By 2015 I realised that doing what amounted to a 42 hr week at 70 years of age was too much, so cut involvement right back. I will not stand again in 2019..

TF

tombar replied on 11/08/2017 14:35

Posted on 11/08/2017 14:35

I've been "retired" two years, aged 61 (I'm a her:)).  As SteveL stated, I too had had enough of the travelling and the increasing pressure at work (I seemed to be doing more work and my colleagues doing less).  But I've been back 4 times since as the secretary who took my job left, as did the second one (actually she was sacked), and now the third, who really likes the job, has been off on sick leave due to cancer, which was caught really early and is free, but they've put her on chemo, just in case, and she should be back (fingers crossed), in September, so I can retire once again:).  I don't mind, only work 2 days a week, which gives me just enough to go away in the caravan one week a month.

KjellNN replied on 11/08/2017 14:48

Posted on 11/08/2017 14:48

Just passed my 10 year retirement anniversary, no early retirement for me unfortunately, I would have lost far too much pension.

The time has gone really quickly, does not feel like 10 years.  Plenty to keep me busy between our house, our childrens' houses, my hobbies, voluntary work, and going away in the caravan.

So very true what your Director said Ian!

Oneputt replied on 11/08/2017 17:15

Posted on 11/08/2017 17:15

Retired 6 months early 6 years ago.  Like most I don't know how I found time for full time employmentlaughing.  With vanning,the grandtwins and relatively good health life is sweet.

Tammygirl replied on 11/08/2017 18:22

Posted on 11/08/2017 18:22

Same here retired 6 years and 6 months ago, got a package I couldn't say no to ( I was going anyway a few months later) OH retired 4 months after me and within 2 days we were off abroad with the caravan.

We haven't stopped travelling and doing jobs round the house/garden since retirement and like others don't know where the time has gone. Best job we have ever had this retirement lark.

Takethedogalong replied on 11/08/2017 19:00

Posted on 11/08/2017 19:00

Thirteen years and four months! And still haven't got anywhere near my pension yet! One is a kept person! Like others, I had an offer from work that would have been daft to refuse.

Mind you, I have done a great deal of unpaid caring work in the last four years, like a lot of others! Can't wait to get my work pension.......

Merve replied on 11/08/2017 19:09

Posted on 11/08/2017 19:09

Almost 3 yrs since I gave up self employment. Had a job driving an ambulance response car for 14 months which I absolutely loved and I wouldn't have given it up but for family circumstances- I still miss it today. So since Dec 2nd 2016 I've been idly towing the van here and there doing what I thought I always wanted but if I could go back to the ambulance, I would. I just love being busy!! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook