Who likes mussels?

eurortraveller replied on 26/06/2024 20:48

Posted on 26/06/2024 20:48

My daughter is scared of eating them but I have just polished off a kilo  -  with chips and mayo of course.

It’s my stand by order in any street side cafe bar along the coast anywhere between Belgium and Brittany - but despite being here at home in Cornwall they are hard to find. OK I’m 20 miles inland and there might be some when the nomadic fish stall sets up on Friday morning - but it’s Wednesday and the only place with them was M&S food hall.

What a difference from the mountain of shellfish in Super U in Roscoff. Here they come in cardboard boxes with sealed plastic inners.  But don’t go, I bought the lot. And as I ate them all by hand and slurped up the sauce I now need a shower, though there’s still a couple of inches of Muscadet in the bottle, so first things first. 

richardandros replied on 27/06/2024 06:25

Posted on 27/06/2024 06:25

We love them ET and usually get ours from Morrison's when Ros goes into Beverley.  Not with chips though - Ros does a concoction with bits of salmon, noodles, leeks chopped up finely, white wine and garlic, I think. Eaten with a crusty baguette - delicious and seems very "French'!

I'm always meticulous when cleaning them and ditch any that haven't fully closed after being soaked in cold water and - touch wood - never had a problem.

SteveL replied on 27/06/2024 07:06

Posted on 27/06/2024 07:06

We also very much enjoy them, cooked simply in a liquor made from white wine, shallot and garlic with parsley added just before serving. Our weekly fish man often has kilo bags available, which make a nice lunch with some crusty bread. When in France I do think the Bouchot ones, where available, well worth the premium.

Another nice way of serving them is to open them and partially cook in a little wine. Then discard one shell and lay out the half shells on  an ovenproof tray, put a blob of garlic butter on each, sprinkle with bread crumbs and flash under a grill until the butter melts and bread crumbs colour.

mickysf replied on 27/06/2024 07:59

Posted on 27/06/2024 07:59

Love mussels, love seafood. Shame that although we are an island we tend, the general UK population that is, to be fixate on just two fish, cod and haddock. Even then it is generally battered which I too enjoy but it has to be haddock with skin on for me. Such a pity that our waters should be filled with many edible species but much that is caught is mostly destined for foreign markets. Certainly the case with our crustaceans and mollusc catches. Shame we are not more adventurous in our culinary delights like that seen across the Channel. 

Cornersteady replied on 27/06/2024 09:04

Posted on 27/06/2024 09:04

I enjoy all seafood, and like nothing better than being on holiday on an all inclusive hotel where I do go over the top on them and never had any issues.

However I can understand the OP's daughter's view. About 40 years ago Mrs C and I were in Bruges and had a plate of mussels but sadly she was violently ill for the rest of the trip and to this day she won't go near any of them.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/06/2024 09:29

Posted on 27/06/2024 09:29

I like them. Remember having them in the South of France with frites and rose wine. Margaret makes a Tuna pasta dish and we always add mixed seafood (including mussels) into the mix. I am also always amazed at the volume of mussels for sale in French supermarkets, just wonder where all the shells go!

David

Wherenext replied on 27/06/2024 10:07

Posted on 27/06/2024 10:07

We like all sorts of shellfish, mussels, pallourds, oysters (drop the "we" to just "I") clams and have to say this is the one type of food that I  associate above all other with France. I adore the fish stalls over there and it puts the UK to shame when you think of the seafood that is on our own doorstep.

We're quite lucky that we can, in season, get hold of mussels from the Menai Strait off Anglesey.

I don't often envy people but did have a slight twang of it when reading ET's post.

JimE replied on 27/06/2024 10:29

Posted on 27/06/2024 10:29

One of the great pleasures of spending a couple of months in Spain late winter/early spring is the amazing displays of fresh fish and seafood at supermarkets, especially Mercadona.

As well as the traditional ways of cooking mussels "à la française" we also enjoy them with Thai sauces, spanish tomato recipes and even a cheats recipe using a tin of Super U Bouillabaisse as the cooking liquor.

We love fresh mussels and eat them regularly although it is increasingly a challenge to get them at home now the local Tesco fresh counter has been closed.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/06/2024 11:35

Posted on 27/06/2024 11:35

Another seafood lover here, and yes, fresh, not that easy to find away from good fishmongers. We still have a very good fishmonger in our local indoor market, and I often head off to get something really nice. Love mussels, crayfish, whelks, clams, oysters, cockles, etc……. It’s not a proper fish pie without mussels in! We used to buy from the local shops in Newlyn when in Cornwall. Crab central is based in East Yorkshire, Withernsea, but of course most goes overseas. Growing up, we had seafood a lot, and Mum adores crab. I doubt many folks would know how to cook and prepare one safely nowadays.

mickysf replied on 27/06/2024 17:01

Posted on 27/06/2024 17:01

Also enjoy razor clams, first tried in Spain. There are some lovely recipes out there for them. Saw some folk gathering these using a tub of Saxa Salt. Always wanted to do a bit of seafood foraging but have never got round to it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook