Which small kettle is best?

Oldgirl and Staffy replied on 02/11/2021 13:40

Posted on 02/11/2021 13:40

Our new campervan has limited storage space and I am looking for recommendations on which small or folding kettle would provide the best option with our limited storage space.  We have a small electric kettle but I am looking for an option to use on gas when we are not on EHU

Hja replied on 02/11/2021 19:15

Posted on 02/11/2021 19:15

I use one of the coloured folding ones, available from most accessory shops.

Oldgirl and Staffy replied on 02/11/2021 21:05

Posted on 02/11/2021 19:15 by Hja

I use one of the coloured folding ones, available from most accessory shops.

Posted on 02/11/2021 21:05

Have you been happy with it because on the reviews I have read some people reported the handles not being very good and either melting or breaking?

ABM replied on 02/11/2021 22:42

Posted on 02/11/2021 22:42

OG & S ,

I've had and used one of the old-style tin kettles- the sort with a folding handle - ever since my earliest camping days back in the ex-WD tent of blessed memory  and should it ever break or get driven over ( surprised the kettle not the tent ) heaven knows it was and still is cheap enough to  replace that my bank manager wouldn't send threatening letters !! I have never used an electric kettle since I may be sitting at a steam rally or rammed up against a hedge bird watching so quite often there is no electric about ( I've never thought of climbing up one of those many metre high  things that blight our country-side just for a tea-bags worth of sparko !! )

ADP1963 replied on 03/11/2021 09:45

Posted on 03/11/2021 09:45

OG & Staffy, that must be a very small Campervan you have that is obviously suiting your needs, why bother with an extra Kettle if your stuck for storage, for the odd occasion just use a Saucepan that you must have.

Takethedogalong replied on 03/11/2021 10:54

Posted on 03/11/2021 10:54

We have a small folding handle gas kettle. It’s possibly our third in over 35 years of touring, so the ones we have do last. Nothing much wrong with our previous one, but we were lured by the lovely green colour😁 No idea on the make, but we bought it in the camping and caravan shop in West Runton, Norfolk. The handle simply folds over to go in a cupboard. It’s sturdy and safe in use, holds about a pint and a half. Very lightweight as well. We often stay non ehu, and use our MH as a day run around, so it gets plenty of use.

Most camping stores will have one thing similar.

ABM replied on 03/11/2021 22:02

Posted on 03/11/2021 22:02

Oh, it is so nice  to realise I'm not the Old Tightwad I'm often told I am,  so  thank you ADP & TtDA  kiss

Takethedogalong replied on 03/11/2021 23:19

Posted on 03/11/2021 22:02 by ABM

Oh, it is so nice  to realise I'm not the Old Tightwad I'm often told I am,  so  thank you ADP & TtDA  kiss

Posted on 03/11/2021 23:19

😂 My OH somehow cannot resist kettles. Buys them for the house as well. I just burn the bottom out of them, so he’s learned to buy ones that whistle loudly🤣 

We still have the first set of camping pans we ever bought up in our old caravan. One of those stacking sets that included a steamer/colander, a chip basket (never used) and removable handles, all made out of aluminium to be lightweight. We got it before we were married, having borrowed BILs camper van for a weekend in Whitby. The shop is still there, in the old part of the town under the Abbey. We hummed and haared as it cost a tenner, could we afford it being mere students🤔 38 years on, I think we might have had our monies worth. 😂 Thousands of miles, hundreds of journeys, a lot of meals......like new👍

ocsid replied on 04/11/2021 14:44

Posted on 04/11/2021 14:44

"Small" and "best" in respect to a kettle for use on a gas hob, are rather contradictions.

For effectiveness in heating up water the kettle base needs to be as wide as possible, presenting as large an area to the flame as possible. So neat styled little things start being highly compromised as a kettle.

I would think the aluminium larger diameter rather squat jobs with a fold down handle might be the most effective solution, if space can be found for something of that type of profile. It will not be a pricy investment to write off if it proves too bulky.

KjellNN replied on 05/11/2021 11:12

Posted on 03/11/2021 22:02 by ABM

Posted on 05/11/2021 11:12

We still have our original red, with black folding handle, whistling one.  Only used these days at lunch stops or if no EHU.   

We have had it since 1969.     

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook