Sugar free?

KjellNN replied on 04/12/2016 15:02

Posted on 04/12/2016 15:02

Several family members are meeting up for Christmas, and we all bring parts of the meal, our contribution is the trifle.  

The preferred recipe involves trifle sponges, jelly and custard.

One of the family has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, so we are looking to have less sugar in the desserts so they can still partake.

Is sugar free jelly available?  What about the custard?  And the trifle sponges?  Any advice appreciated!

JillwithaJay replied on 04/12/2016 15:14

Posted on 04/12/2016 15:14

Yes - sugar free jellies are usually readily available.  I buy them from our local Tesco.  Good for weightwatchers too.  Happy

Not seen sugar free custard though; only low fat which probably contains more sugar than the standard version.

Would something like this recipe, using sugar substitute, help?

Can't help with sugar free sponges unless you make your own.

CC siggy photo 5fae1f89-4ac6-4c54-9d72-2c61f19576cb_zps6t1khoo5.jpg

KjellNN replied on 04/12/2016 16:16

Posted on 04/12/2016 16:16

Thanks, good news on the jelly front!

For the custard I usually just  use Birds Custard Powder, so will need to check what that contains.  I could certainly replace the added sugar with Splenda.

DD is the sponge cake expert in the family, so I will ask her about the possibility of making some sponges using Splenda.

brue replied on 04/12/2016 17:24

Posted on 04/12/2016 17:24

KJ have you had a look at the Diabetes UK web site? I spotted this on there, hope you find something appetising for your friend, what a nice idea. 

ValDa replied on 04/12/2016 17:32

Posted on 04/12/2016 17:32

My brother in law is diabetic, and we always have Christmas dinner together as a family and then a Boxing Day meal together with 'cold cuts', pork pie, etc.  My sister makes her own Christmas pudding, (I can share any recipes with you if you want) and we have rum sauce sweetened with 'Diabetic sugar' (or Splenda)  We've tended not to have trifle any longer because it's so sweet, but make a fresh fruit salad instead!  Much healthier and no problem for diabetics.  

However, having just seen Brue's link, I'm tempted to suggest that we try this, this year.  It looks a lovely recipe and I'm sure my brother-in-law would enjoy it!

Your family member may have to change his dose of insulin as Christmas Dinner is a very high calorie meal in itself - he/she should ask his diabetic nurse about this in preparation so that he can enjoy Christmas without worries. 

replied on 04/12/2016 17:34

Posted on 04/12/2016 17:34

I have used sugar free jelly in trifle for nearly 40 years ever since I bought it by mistake and my family preferred it. Not sure about the sugar content of Birds custard powder but I have use the powder with no, or very little sugar as my kids were brought up that way and I usually find made custards and custards when out too sweet. When I have a pudding out I have often asked for a custard without sugar ans it has been provided. As K suggests there are replacements available for sugae.

KjellNN replied on 04/12/2016 20:04

Posted on 04/12/2016 20:04

The family member is our daughter-in-laws dad,and we are not really sure exactly what the situation is.

We have experience with 2 fully diabetic people, my  sister and a good friend, both use insulin, so we are used to finding low sugar foods for them, just not at Christmas!

We are a bit bamboozled by this (very recent) diagnosis, he has not been prescribed any pills, let alone insulin, and all he he has  been told is to cut down on sugar.

It has even been suggested that it is OK to "fill up" with bread and potatoes!

From speaking with our friend, we know that apparently the NHS advice on diabetes is very poor in many areas.  Actually in this case sounds like the advice is totally wrong.

We are aware that carbs mean sugar, so bread and potatoes need to be restricted.

Dad is being pointed in the direction of a diabetes group, just hope he gets better advice there.

When we told DIL what we knew she immediately became very worried.

Are there any books we could get him to help with the real facts?

KjellNN replied on 04/12/2016 20:16

Posted on 04/12/2016 20:16

I have used sugar free jelly in trifle for nearly 40 years ever since I bought it by mistake and my family preferred it. Not sure about the sugar content of Birds custard powder but I have use the powder with no, or very little sugar as my kids were brought up that way and I usually find made custards and custards when out too sweet. When I have a pudding out I have often asked for a custard without sugar ans it has been provided. As K suggests there are replacements available for sugae.

LOL, about 3 years back, I totally forgot to add any sugar to the Birds Custard recipe, OH was worried, but nobody  actually  noticed!,

replied on 04/12/2016 23:49

Posted on 04/12/2016 23:49

he has  been told is to cut down on sugar.

It has even been suggested that it is OK to "fill up" with bread and potatoes!

Are there any books we could get him to help with the real facts?

Somebody may know of some books. I asked for an appointment with a dietician. The info on Diabetes UK is not very good IMO. It gives no indication of portion sizes for many things and particularly for starchy foods.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook