Quinces

eurortraveller replied on 24/10/2022 13:35

Posted on 24/10/2022 13:35

I have got a bucketful but the trouble is they are the real sort - they are rock hard Chinese quinces from a spiny bush - Pseudocydonia Sinensis. Maybe edible, maybe not,  

Let’s see. The plan is to chop them,  simmer them, mash them. strain them ,boil the pulp with sugar and gradually dry it in the bottom of an oven and maybe I can get the sort of dry quince paste that the Spanieh call membrillo. 

Any advice?

Takethedogalong replied on 24/10/2022 14:04

Posted on 24/10/2022 14:04

There are a few recipes out there, but nothing specific to Chinese Quince. Probably have to boil longer to get to a paste. Good luck, sort of thing I love.

brue replied on 24/10/2022 16:36

Posted on 24/10/2022 16:36

I've made Membrillo or Quince Cheese, it's traditional name over here. I used the real and much larger quinces, sometimes sold in farm shops etc or grown at home. The recipes are simple, I've just spotted a BBC good food one but you don't need the rosewater in the recipe!

I made it on a low sided baking tray, laid out on silicone paper, it sets on this and can be cut and peeled off the paper easily.

I've occasionally used the small ornamental quinces chopped up with apples. I've got a few on a windowsill at the moment as they have a nice smell. But you need the proper big quinces for good results.

We have neighbours with quince trees. the real quinces are as big as pears, very sharp to taste, they need to be cooked with plenty of sugar. Nice to make something different and it keeps well. smile

So if you've got a bucketful Euror you've got some work to do!! wink

mickysf replied on 25/10/2022 21:35

Posted on 25/10/2022 21:35

I remember my gran had a quince growing in her garden (not the pseudo variety I think). The small small yellow fruit smelled beautiful. She made jam with them but only after they had been frosted  I seem to remember. A very evocative memory that aroma brings.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook